Do Hobby Machinists prefer small CNC or small Manual machines at home?

I prefer manual machines to CNC for my home shop. I view CNC as most beneficial for multiples of the same part. Most all of my parts and projects are one off.

Since you are designing a new machines for home shops (?) put some extra engineering work in making them as easy to move as possible. Maybe design machines that can be easily broken down into a few large pieces that can be easily assembled? Built in slots for pallet jacks? Eye screws for lifting? Think about how a machine could be moved around and assembled by a cherry picker? Since you mentioned home CNC machining maybe make a machine that is specifically designed to be converted to CNC?

In my limited experience there is no substitute for weight (mass) when it comes to making parts with good tolerances.

Oh yeah, while you are at it, make them affordable! LOL!

I prefer manual machines to CNC for my home shop. I view CNC as most beneficial for multiples of the same part. Most all of my parts and projects are one off.

Since you are designing a new machines for home shops (?) put some extra engineering work in making them as easy to move as possible. Maybe design machines that can be easily broken down into a few large pieces that can be easily assembled? Built in slots for pallet jacks? Eye screws for lifting? Think about how a machine could be moved around and assembled by a cherry picker? Since you mentioned home CNC machining maybe make a machine that is specifically designed to be converted to CNC?

In my limited experience there is no substitute for weight (mass) when it comes to making parts with good tolerances.

Oh yeah, while you are at it, make them affordable! LOL!

Same with me, most things I make are 1 off and I'm still learning, so I like being hands on with everything. I can see somewhere down the road wanting to add a small CNC. Probably a Sherline or Taig unless something new in that general size enters the market.

I find working with a manual machine kind of therapeutic, like carving wood. CNC (and 3D printers) for me are much more about getting something done, although I can enjoy the design side of 3D modeling.

The breakdown for transport is a good point. The bigger machines that can be broken into a handful of smaller pieces that can be moved by hand with 1 or 2 people tend to be very popular with home shops.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your posts, you’ll have to admit they do sound like market research.

Please do tell your thoughts on Tormach if you’re willing.

John
I'm not really doing market research but kinda.
My opinion on tormach is, last I looked they ran on mach3 and I didn't like their choice of tool taper which I didn't like. Don't know much about them.

Back