Deep drilling

I was thinking about a center suport for that length of drill, at 125.00 each extra steps for welding, and finishing may be time consuming. With all of the drilling steps, turning knurling, I'm at just over 2.5-3 hrs labor
I have made about 170 of these bats, several of them for home/car defense.

My thought was to turn the handle and a step portion of 2-3" to slide a tube onto. The tube section would not need internal drilling just a finish cut/profile on the external portion. I have done deep drilling 8-10" either with MT drills or 1" carbide boring bar and it was tedious and time consuming doing it manually. You could thermally attach the base to the tube using temperature differential or bonding agent. Would save a lot of time. I often setup an interference fit to attach two parts heat one and cool the other and then press them together. Pretty much need to destroy the part to separate them. When deep boring also need some form of coolant and chip evacuation, often sliding the tail stock back and forth for deep holes.

why make them hollow? are these steel?

If you are trying to mass produce these, it might be better to start with 1-1/2” pipe, and add a solid handle on one end. Probably would be close to what you have.

But as with anything, it might be too cheap looking for your clientele. Just another thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You also need to imagine these bats are for breaking thick solid ice in a bag, some times a few inches thick. Weight, and balance need to be a consideration also. Here is the last 2 that went out, he ordered them powder coated, I sent them out for that.

Back