Cross slide nut jammed

Is your lead screw just a "Vee" thread? I would have thought that an ACME would be the proper thread.

Is your lead screw just a "Vee" thread? I would have thought that an ACME would be the proper thread.
You would think so. ACME is used for the carriage, but the cross slide appears to be a v for these machines...

I ended up ordering a new cross slide leadscrew and nut. Only came to 139.00 all in, should show up in a couple weeks. But I might run the die over the rod end for curiosity and see if it works even temporarily after that.

One thing missing from this is the chip tray. They are expensive to buy as a part, but can't imagine how important that is if I have a steel counter top for it to live on... I can make up a bit of a tray if fluids become and thing and for easier cleaning I guess. This is where my complete rookieness to this will hopefully show what is really important... (quick change tool post? etc...)

I did check gears and carriage and that all seems to be fine and smooth, besides needing some major cleaning. First things will be clean, lube, new oil in gearbox and start learning I guess...

I appreciate all the quick information. and feedback! Look forward to the journey! (I have a small stainless steel project I need to do for someone... probably not idea for learning on but hey... diving head first with arms at your side is smart too right?)

It sounds like you are off to a really good start. Experimenting and making mistakes is all part of the learning curve.
The Blondihacks youtube channel is a really good place to start. She has a whole lathe beginner series that were really helpful to me. I go back and review different ones from time to time. There are lots of other good video makers that are very helpful too but I find Blondihacks to be more geared toward my type of machine shop uses.
I look forward to seeing your projects posted over in the Project Of The Day thread.

It sounds like you are off to a really good start. Experimenting and making mistakes is all part of the learning curve.
The Blondihacks youtube channel is a really good place to start. She has a whole lathe beginner series that were really helpful to me. I go back and review different ones from time to time. There are lots of other good video makers that are very helpful too but I find Blondihacks to be more geared toward my type of machine shop uses.
I look forward to seeing your projects posted over in the Project Of The Day thread.
Thank you very much, I appreciate it. Sorry for the delayed response, i was away for a bit. I've started maintenance of the lathe, replacing gear oil, cleaning, setting gibs and going over everything else. Installing a QCTP and will hopefully start trying the first turning shortly. I have a Stainless Steel shaft with threads as well that I need to make, probably rather ambitious to start, but we'll see how it goes. I have both HHS and the carbide tipped tooling (replaceable tips). I have watched some blondihacks and will be going through much more now, she seems great. Good to hear from someone experienced that her advice is valid!

Thank you for all the help everyone. Really looking forward to turning!

Back