PM1236 Cross Slide Lock Access

At the link I provided above, each photo has an accompanying description if you just click on the image, and in the description with this image you will find details on the drag chain I used in the description. I replaced all the fasteners on my 1340 with higher grade components when I stripped down the machine for a new robust body filler and paint and made tons of additional modifications. The hex-head screw was one tiny detail in the overall DRO design process. Three full pages of details of the entire build are here.

No misunderstanding - others commented on putting it in the chuck side of the carriage.
Thank you, I will look those over with great interest, I really like your setup.

I am finding the biggest issues with both my lathe and mill are the fasteners so I will likely go through both and replace with better/good quality bolts.

Thank you, I will look those over with great interest, I really like your setup.

I am finding the biggest issues with both my lathe and mill are the fasteners so I will likely go through both and replace with better/good quality bolts.
Thanks. You might find the attached helpful if you decide to upgrade the fasteners - it has to be very similar to your machine.

Attachments

• PM-1340GT Fastener Schedule.pdf
    86.9 KB · Views: 25

I went with a less costly option than the igus chain
IMG_8073.jpeg
that @davidpbest used; the ubiquitous Uxcell brand from Amazon:
IMG_8074.jpeg

Open chain rather than enclosed, but I haven't had any issue with swarf accumulating in the chain on the Z-Axis on my Mini-Lathe:
20240909 iGaging DROs on Mini-Lathe.jpg

The problem with anything on the left (headstock/spindle/chuck) side of the carriage is access when you are close to the headstock: that's why I moved the carriage lock to the right/tailstock side.

I guess I use mine differently. I have the gibs adjusted correctly and it just provides some additional load opposite of gibs, I rarely have to move it. If I do and close to rotating spindle, I have a switch that turns it off, VFD with brake that stops in 1 second. My PM-1340GT might have tighter tolerances and doesn't require constant locking the gib where it isn't free to move.

I went with a less costly option than the igus chain
View attachment 502301
that @davidpbest used; the ubiquitous Uxcell brand from Amazon:
View attachment 502300

Open chain rather than enclosed, but I haven't had any issue with swarf accumulating in the chain on the Z-Axis on my Mini-Lathe:
View attachment 502302
I appreciate the information. I actually like the chain @davidpbest used because my machine spreads swarf around and the chain @davidpbest used is also heat resistant.

That is a nice lathe ChazzC.

sounds like the lathe came with the scales installed. amazing that they sent it out that way. a carriage lock is kinda important in some operations.

sounds like the lathe came with the scales installed. amazing that they sent it out that way. a carriage lock is kinda important in some operations.
If you order the lathe with the DRO from PM that is how you get it, it comes installed.

If you order the lathe with the DRO from PM that is how you get it, it comes installed.

If/when I upgrade the Mini-Lathe & -Mill I’m planning on PM, with a visit to their operations (4 hour drive) for discussions and working a deal so the machine(s) would come prepared for scales but would select and install scales (and TouchDRO) myself.

Been watching this thread as I'm ready to install the Y scale on my new lathe today.

I have decided to install the scale on the chuck side of the cross slide to give me unfettered access to the carriage lock and tailstock clearance. Also to utilize the existing steady rest bolt holes. On the headstock side the impact to swing over the carriage is quite minimal. If ever I had a job that required that last bit of swing (unlikely) I could always remove the read head.

I had the scale on the tailstock side on a previous lathe and found that frequently annoying.

Back