Anyone else get carried away with 3d printed tool storage?

Here is my 5C collet and collet block holder/organizer I printed a while back.

20240316_093340.jpg

20240316_093355.jpg

20240316_111931.jpg

Decided to sort some more stuff out too.
Didn't feel like doing a filament swap and figured filling the numbers in with paint would be easier, it wasn't... :grin:
Made a mess with the red paint because the characters are way too small, figured I could sand the surface a bit to clean it up but can't be bothered.
IMG_7322.JPEGIMG_7348.JPG

Future socket holders will just feature a filament swap instead.
IMG_7346.JPG

Also made some holders for screwdrivers, pliers, cutters etc.
The idea is that every single tool should have one dedicated place, easier to see when it's missing and won't end in a pile of tools somewhere.
IMG_7347.JPGIMG_7349.JPG

Finally getting a bit of a grip on Fusion. I'm still slow, but getting things done.

Here's the top of my Gerstner box. It's almost a perfect 5 x 13 grid, but there are heavy chamfers on the inside corners. So I went with a 5 x 12 and a 42mm wide pencil box, with chamfers. Super happy with the PLA matte charcoal from Bambu; it prints easy, looks good, has a great surface finish and feels good. As an experiment, I've been lowering the infil percentage. I'm down to 7%, and for this type of print it does'nt seem to matter.

I start with the F360 Gridfinity generator plugin to make a box the right size, then set in the tool. I spent more time than I want to admit on the test indicator, but it's printing now.

I made a few bins without lips for stacking, and realized that was an error. That should be reserved for high use items, like the deburring tool. The collet extensions and collets should be stackable, as I don't use them often. They'll go in a cabinet drawer, not the Gerstner.

Gerstner top.png

Finally getting a bit of a grip on Fusion. I'm still slow, but getting things done.

Here's the top of my Gerstner box. It's almost a perfect 5 x 13 grid, but there are heavy chamfers on the inside corners. So I went with a 5 x 12 and a 42mm wide pencil box, with chamfers. Super happy with the PLA matte charcoal from Bambu; it prints easy, looks good, has a great surface finish and feels good. As an experiment, I've been lowering the infil percentage. I'm down to 7%, and for this type of print it does'nt seem to matter.

I start with the F360 Gridfinity generator plugin to make a box the right size, then set in the tool. I spent more time than I want to admit on the test indicator, but it's printing now.

I made a few bins without lips for stacking, and realized that was an error. That should be reserved for high use items, like the deburring tool. The collet extensions and collets should be stackable, as I don't use them often. They'll go in a cabinet drawer, not the Gerstner.

View attachment 494652
Does the Gridfinity generator for Fusion automagically create the profile? I have heard that you take a picture of the object and import it into Fusion to create the cutout. Is that true?
PS. I have not looked into that at all but if that is the case I am on board!

Looks good! I've never heard of the Gridfinity generator plugin. I guess I need to look into it also.

Does the Gridfinity generator for Fusion automagically create the profile? I have heard that you take a picture of the object and import it into Fusion to create the cutout. Is that true?
PS. I have not looked into that at all but if that is the case I am on board!

No - it allows the making of bases and bin/boxes.

It automates everything, but still keeps the full parametric tree, if that matters to you. The interface is simple - for example, enter the length (in 42mm modules you want), width and height. Screw holes, magnet holes, etc are options.

Want a 3x6 bin with 3 2x3 bins, with labels and scoops, but no lip? just check the right boxes.

Making the cutouts is the time consuming part. You can photograph or scan, or draw. I usually make a sketch on the top of a solid bin, then extrude.

Here's the tap drawer. I'm going to do a layer under this one that holds taps and the associated drill bit.
Slow process, but I'm getting faster.

Today I learned:
  • how to cut a pre-defined item (the gridfinity base) to fit a non whole-number drawer unit (I cut the grid, but the plate was printed that size)
  • How to remove an item from a model, and leave the indentation

I've wanted this level of organization forever, but it's never really been that reachable of a goal.
tap drawer.png

while it's nice to look at, for me it would mean many more tool boxes. I just don't have that room.
Not for everybody, for sure. It fits my needs, and all those things are in that drawer at the moment. I'm adding a side tray for the most common sizes, and an under tray for the more obscure stuff. I'll actually save space.

How to remove an item from a model, and leave the indentation
What do you mean with that explanation? It seems that you would cut (or extrude) the sketch and you would be done.
Are you tracing around an image that you insert into the sketch?

Back