Anyone else get carried away with 3d printed tool storage?

What do you mean with that explanation? It seems that you would cut (or extrude) the sketch and you would be done.
Are you tracing around an image that you insert into the sketch?
I can't be bothered to make a model of the thing I'm trying to store to extrude it out of the bin.
I just make a sketch of the major features and then extrude them to fit. Means I don't have half-round bottoms for things like dial indicator stems and such but the speed of design is more important to me than a glove-like fit of the tool.
This is what I made for my back button indicator set.
Screenshot 2024-06-26 124702.png

Last edited:
What do you mean with that explanation? It seems that you would cut (or extrude) the sketch and you would be done.
I think he's referring to a Boolean subtract. That's the way I do "fitted" trays - make a (crude) model of the thing, scale it if necessary, then 'subtract' it from a block / tray / whatever.

GsT

Yes - generally I make a base plate, then trace (or model) the tool as a new component. "Merge" the two of them, and cut away the intersection tool, leaving an indentation. This makes a drawer size plate, with specific places for tools.

edit for clarity.

Last edited:
I can't be bothered to make a model of the thing I'm trying to store to extrude it out of the bin.
I just make a sketch of the major features and then extrude them to fit. Means I don't have half-round bottoms for things like dial indicator stems and such but the speed of design is more important to me than a glove-like fit of the tool.
This is what I made for my back button indicator set.
View attachment 494920
This, exactly. The cutout doesn't have to be perfect, it has to be close enough.

Back