2020 POTD Thread Archive

Looks GREAT! Just in time for lots of friends and family to give you a call. "My car is sounding funny, can you help!". I bought a Case 580 backhoe 25 years ago. Kept the backhoe, sold the trailer.

Bruce
Yeah, Bruce it's become worse. My brother just called me " Bro i bought a parts car when can you take it apart"

Yeah, Bruce it's become worse. My brother just called me " Bro i bought a parts car when can you take it apart"
Just tell him that he is welcome to come over and use your garage for a weekend to do what he needs to do. You will probably end up with some metal to scrap after he is finished.

Just tell him that he is welcome to come over and use your garage for a weekend to do what he needs to do. You will probably end up with some metal to scrap after he is finished.
That's the problem, all the parts need to be stored cataloged and hardest for me the body needs to be cut up and scraped, i hate dealing with scrap people.

Maybe you could agree on and enforce the motto of spelunkers (cave explorers) here in the US ... "Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints." In other words, if he wants to take the car apart, make sure that HE takes the parts away ... and doesn't "accidentally" walk off with any of your tools :)

@f350ca

I love that you made your own thrust bearing.
It would not have crossed my mind and seeing it here reminds me to search for alternatives.

Besides being a pond circulator, you've built a merry-go-round for the local birds. :grin:

Thanks for posting.

Built a windmill to circulate a pond, hopefully deice it. A fan mounts below the water to circulate View attachment 347159

Made a stainless thrust bearing to carry the weight.
View attachment 347160
View attachment 347161
View attachment 347162

Greg
f350ca, I just took a closer look at your windmill, and I think that its simplicity is wonderful. I thought the fan blades were flat until I took a closer look. I hsve a 20 x 25 duck pond that I disable the filters and run a fountain for the winter. The fountain keeps atleast a small part of the pond open except in the coldest weather (single digits).
A propeller pulling warmer water up from the bottom should do the trick
I would also love to see a video of your windmill in operation.
How cold are your winters?

Thanks,
Will get a video when we install it. The man made pond is about 4 1/2 acres and 30 feet deep. Was quite a project.
We can get some cold weather here, forecast is -24 celsius Tuesday night, -30 happens often. Worried about the stainless shaft freezing in if we get a couple of calm cold days.
Not enough ice to go out and instal it right now but should be safe by next week. Will cut a hole for the fan and just set the floats on the ice, be interesting to see if it thaws enough ice to float.

Greg

Back