2020 POTD Thread Archive

Fantastic restoration! And I absolutely love the cam on the bobbin winder.

Also the manufacturer of one of the most collectable 1911's in the world!
Wow, I had no idea. That’s really neat, thanks for mentioning it. I’m not a gun guy myself but oddly enough have done a bit of massaging on a couple 1911’s for a friend. I like them, they have a certain appeal that really grows on a person. Especially once you’ve seen them in pieces on your bench.

-frank

I am gearing up to make a turbine engine ( not using a turbo compressor)
going to try t make the compressor rotary stages (about 8 stages) in one in one piec.
I am going to turn a section of round stock to the diameter them cut grooves for the stators.
ineed to make special jigs to cut the blades.
to complex for me to Describe
just trying to obtain all the materials to built the jigs. I won’t be

• Wow
Reactions: rwm
I am gearing up to make a turbine engine ( not using a turbo compressor)
going to try t make the compressor rotary stages (about 8 stages) in one in one piec.
I am going to turn a section of round stock to the diameter them cut grooves for the stators.
ineed to make special jigs to cut the blades.
to complex for me to Describe
just trying to obtain all the materials to built the jigs. I won’t be
Definitely start a thread!
What material???
Robert

Great work on the Singer Machine! I admire your patience.

Extended my cat's domain with a couple of quick shelves!
d5c04c9accf5c754d1c407e8bc1a873a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

POTD was installing a 5000 lumen LED shop light over my table saw. The saw is on locking casters and is frequently moved to accommodate other projects in the shop. I have general lighting that doesn't concentrate as much as I'd like in some areas. Seems like I'm always setting up the saw in a dim area and figured a dedicated light right over top would be a good solution.

I picked up a bunch of rack tubing made by Creform off CL a couple of years ago. I use it for legs and racks on lots of things in the shop. I didn't show any of the tubing bracketry, but the Creform system has a variety of end brackets for right angles, caster feet, angle brackets, etc.

One of the brackets joins 3 pieces of tubing into a corner at right angles. Plan was to run a long vertical piece at the far side of the side extension table through one of those brackets, and two corner pieces that are bolted to the apron of the extension table. The tubing is hollow and would collapse under the clamping bolts, so made some filler pieces to go into the tubing from plastic rod stock.

Turned some plastic rod stock to slip inside the Creform tubing so it wouldn't collapse when the cross-bolts were tightened.
20201205_122652.jpg
20201205_122934.jpg

The light would hang from a piece of tubing attached to the vertical tubing with a corner bracket. I could have hung the light to the tubing by looping the supplied chain around the tube, but went the overkill route. I made some hanging brackets from 1/4" bolts. Milled a flat near the head and drilled a through hole for attaching hooks. Didn't show it, but drilled holes through the horizontal tube and ran the 1/4" bolts through.

Milled a flat and drilled a hole for the light "S" hooks
20201205_130843.jpg
20201205_131341.jpg
20201205_132059.jpg

The vertical tubing needed to be corner braced back to the extension table as there is a lot of cantilevered weight hanging out there. Creform has corner bracing brackets, but they're not finely adjustable. Just typical anal me, but I wanted to "tram" the light flat with a level and needed something better than just slipping a bracket on the tubing and hope for a level light.

I used a turnbuckle as the adjusting link. I made a new end fitting on the RH thread end by extending the thread on a 1/4" bolt. Drilled and tapped an aluminum round for the end of the RH thread. Milled a couple of flats so it'd fit in the Creform bracket. I didn't show it, but drilled a hole in the angle iron frame under the saw extension table to tie the turnbuckle back to some structure.

Threading a 1/4" bolt
20201206_134809.jpg

Tap drill and tap a 1/4"-20 hole for the bolt (didn't have any 1/4" all-thread on hand)
20201206_135456.jpg
20201206_135701.jpg
20201206_140338.jpg

Milled a couple of flats on the opposite end so the aluminum would fit in the Creform bracket.
20201207_141733.jpg
20201207_142426.jpg
20201207_144921.jpg

Was the corner bracing necessary? Check out the photo below. The tubing is about 1 1/16" OD with a wall thickness of ~1/16". The shop lights don't weigh that much, but enough to flex the tubing by at least 1".

20201207_145800.jpg

Pretty happy with the end result. So nice to blast the top of the table saw with lots of light. I've since managed the cord with some zip ties to the tubing and added an extension to the pull chain. Jury is still out on the height of the light, may drop it a foot or so (hits my hanging shop lights) which can be done pretty quickly by sliding the vertical tubing down in the bracketry at the table.

20201207_154344.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Bruce

Today i've had some time to spare so i installed the ladder in the inspection pit also started installing the lights, i did not wanted the lights to shine sideways. So i made couple of brackets to shine the lights towards the car, installed the first two and mounted brackets for the rest but had to stop i had an appointment that did not want to miss.
IMG_20201211_192900.jpg

Tried my hand at a parting tool holder inspired by a video by "Winky" someone linked to a while back after discovering the blades I had are 5/8" and the QCTP holder I have was only 1/2"

Worked well (i think) on aluminum, even though I goofed somewhere in the build as the top of the blade wound up a bit low of center, have yet to try on steel.

Will have to cut the bolt down some and get rid of those ugly washers!

DSCN8199.JPG

Today i've had some time to spare so i installed the ladder in the inspection pit also started installing the lights, i did not wanted the lights to shine sideways. So i made couple of brackets to shine the lights towards the car, installed the first two and mounted brackets for the rest but had to stop i had an appointment that did not want to miss.
View attachment 347086
Looks GREAT! Just in time for lots of friends and family to give you a call. "My car is sounding funny, can you help!". I bought a Case 580 backhoe 25 years ago. Kept the backhoe, sold the trailer.

Bruce

Back