2020 POTD Thread Archive

From experience, gasoline fumes, or propane in the intake only works on big diesels, the ones that have only one glow plug in the intake, smaller engines like one in cars and truck with glow plugs on every cylinder, starting spray ( ether) works best. That said i've also seen guys blow the intake and intercooler to pieces form using too much. My advice will be always spend the time and money just replace the glow plugs.
I agree that replacing the glow plugs would be best, but I don't want to open a big can of worms right now. The problem is that the plugs are severely corroded and I am afraid that it will break off and then I'll have to pull the head. I've been getting by ok with the block heater to start it on the coldest mornings, but the cord to plug it in caught on fire. I have one for a big rig I just have to figure out where to put it so that the heat makes its way through the engine and not the radiator.

Today was a long day, in short words, my carport with grapes is not working out, now with all the leaves falling down is a nightmare to keep clean, also last 3 years i've not had any good grapes i'm sure oil soked concrite under it and my diesel cars don't help it, i've tried using chemicals but nothing helps. So entire afternoon with ladder, chainsaw and sizers i cut it down, it got dark on my so i'll take a picture tomorrow. The plan going forward is to plan it out during the winter and spring time to reinforce the construction and install sheet metal roofing.
IMG_20201212_101959.jpgIMG_20201212_102023.jpgIMG_20201212_102012.jpg
metal-roofing-500x500.jpg

Yeah.... World War 2 was an amazing time for American Manufacturing. FDR who had attacked big industry earlier in his administration also understood big business and knew that companies needed to be rewarded for producing armaments during the war. Ford made a ton of money making B-17’s....rolling a plane off its Willow Run plant every 63 minutes.
But almost everybody shut down their normal products production and went into war mode. I had an a Saginaw M-1 Carbine.... and had a friend who had an IBM M-1 Carbine. There were all kinds of odd balls like that. Just an amazing accomplishment of America’s manufacturing prowess was done during the war years.

International Harvester made M-1's for the military also.

Over the weekend I turned this stage coupler for a 2 stage high power rocket (M to M). It allows a 3" sustainer motor to fit into the tip of a 4" booster. I started with a 12lb chunk of 4.5" 6061 and wound up with an 18 ounce part.

Attachments

• IMG_8283.jpg
    IMG_8283.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8284.jpg
    IMG_8284.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
Minor correction: Willow Run is famous for producing B-24s. It matters to those involved.
You are correct sir. I love history but definitely am not an avid reader of history. I actually had just seen a Ken Burns episode of The Roosevelts. Pre War years. And in all honesty I was having a tough time remembering the specifics. I almost put down Willow Brook. But luckily I googled the wiki page. I probably should have read the entire wiki article and it would have jogged my memory or even pointed out B-24’s.
That’s said.... I do remember the show said a plane every 63 minutes. And while cars had something like 25k parts.... The B24 had almost 1.5 million parts. That’s just an incredible accomplishment of America’s manufacturing prowess during World War 2.

Hard to imagine the manufacturing, and building might we had back then. I recall watching a documentary on the recovery efforts on Pearl Harbor. One of the smaller destroyers was missing the front third. They raised her, fitted a temporary bow, and sailed her back to California, who had her repaired and back sailing by June After training, she was back in Perl Harbor by August 1942. She served throughout all the remainder of WWII.

USS Shaw.

Mind boggling when you look up how many ships, tanks, planes, trucks, guns, ammo, tents, and everything else we made in a few years.

Last edited:
Today i spent some more time working on the inspection pit, i finished mounting the lights, wired them and connected them the the control panel, they are switched two by two in parallel, from the entrance to the back. I also installed and wired one double and one single wall socket, i need to finish some mortar work around the electrical boxes but i want to run my air line and have the air chuck recessed in one of the boxes.
IMG_20201213_201900.jpgIMG_20201213_201906.jpg

The dial on the carriage travel of my lathe has 20 thou divisions, seams to be a shortcoming on a lot of lathes. Had a Colchester that had no scale.
Decided to make a dial indicator mount.
Joined 1/4 - 20 and #6 - 32 screws together to push and pull the wedge that clamps the body to the bed. Works well but a lot of fiddling to get the thread lengths right.
IMG_4422.jpg

IMG_4423.jpg
Mounted

IMG_4424.jpg

Also made a set of stops for the mill bed, recycled the existing stops for the power feed limit switches, the clamping bolts are a bugger to get at, may have to redesign those.

IMG_4425.jpg

Thanks for looking

GregIMG_4422.jpgIMG_4423.jpgIMG_4424.jpgIMG_4425.jpg

Well the outside temperatures are dropping and is starting to get cold, today i stopped by a local flea market and bought me a propane heater for the big garage, also i stopped by my local store and bought me about 100 liters of water and 3 big bags of ice for a prank i'll be pulling tomorrow, payback's a b_ _ _h.
IMG_20201213_150723_1.jpgIMG_20201215_150034.jpg

Back