You know you are a Hobby-Machinist when....

For over 45 years, you've hand-sharpened your own drillbits;

All your drillbits are sharp;

You buy a Drill Doctor anyway...

You hear this voice: "CAN I HELP YOU, SIR!"

And you're suddenly startled out of a semi-hypnotic state, where you realize you've spent the last half hour:

- Standing before the assorted screw/nuts cabinet at the local hardware store.
- Resorting and organizing the jumble of mis-placed screws/nuts in the assortment tray.
- And, forgot why you're here in the first place...

Oh yeah ! This happens to me all of the time @ my shops. In the past I purchased assorted odd goodies in bulk @ American Science & Surplus nearby in Milwaukee Wi. The neat stuff hiding in the bins of this stuff can be entertaining if not stultifying at times.

Re: You know you are a Hobby-Machinist when....:

You know you are a Hobby-Machinist when....

you watch this and think,"woooo the welder is ok".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVNn1dnu9MU

Also if you watched it from 9:25 minutes to around 10 minutes repeatedly to try and figure out what large machine was in the scrap truck in the right lane.

Looks like a steam engine to me.

You pull an empty trailer other than rigging equipment, tie downs and cash, when your on your way to take your wife and the kids to the zoo just in case you get that call back from a Craigslist ad.

When you have a level and a protractor and every conversion app on your phone just in case....

when your best customer has never paid you anything yet, but he your best customer....

when you buy spare tools for the spare tools....

when your buy or make tools because it will make the job easier, but you don't have any jobs to do....

and my best one... coffee tastes bad without the greasy metal chips in it....

When you spend most of the day cleaning up old tools you barely know how to use.
Eddie

your 100% duty cycle 110v 25amp stick welder is a 35 mm film projector light power supply-- with a pair or jumpers, and mini vicegrips-- just because your friends give you strange things free knowing you know what to do with them...

When you spend 10 hours on a part machining it manually, knowing you could have it done in an hour on CNC. And your okay with it.

Back