Yes or no on this milling machine?

Sorry, I couldn't resist but I just bought it tonight.

Just kidding. Go buy the darn thing already! :big grin:

Last edited:
Went back and looked at the Induma again today, and it has a 40-42" table. We played around with the back gear, and never could get it to engage. I'm not sure what the issue is, but it doesn't seem like the lever just above the head (beside the brake lever) is really doing anything. You can pivot it from side to side, but I can't tell that it is changing anything.

20190424_182855_jpg-923699.JPG

20190424_182836_jpg-923700.JPG

20190424_181354_jpg-923702.JPG

20190424_181341_jpg-923703.JPG

20190424_181346_jpg-923704.JPG

Still discussing it with the seller, and still trying to figure out how to move it...I can't envision any scenario where I don't end up renting a forklift.

Pretty sure lever on top with the cam lock is the spindle brake. Probably needs a new lining. Mike

You can rent a gantry crane (2 ton) to put it on the trailer and take it off. A pallet jack can be used to put it where you want. Lever/blocking will get it off the pallet jack. Done it 5 times.

first - the back gear is no big deal. I rebuilt mine in about 2 hours, including taking it off and putting it back on again.

(okay, the jig I built to handle the head took a couple of hours to build also... truth be told)

Mine works like a charm now.... but you simply don't need it. I took out my back gear recently (long story) but my VFD handles ultra low speeds better than a back gear. Sorry you have a phase converter - my bad! You can rebuild the back gear fairly easily, and all it really needs is a clean and lube. It relies on gravity to engage, so when it's dirty, it won't engage easily until it is clean and greased.

Now a lower rebuild - I haven't tried it, but I need to!

[edit] From your pictures, it looks dirty and dry. that's likely to indicate a bunch of dirty dry grease is preventing the thing from engaging.

I moved my 3000lb mill with my dump trailer. I dragged the mill by the base across the guys garage to his driveway. Backed up my trailer to the mill with it tilted up. After removing anything vulnerable to damage, I ratchet strapped it to the trailer bed on to a bed of tires covered with moving blankets. Then I had to use a come-along to lower the bed. To unload I did reverse, making sure the edge of the base was in my garage so that I could push it in with my tractor. It was a lot of work, but well worth it.
Just some food for thought.
John

Let's say worst case I can't get the rotary converter, and the back gear assembly is damaged beyond repair....how much would it cost to simply convert it over to a VFD?

Back