Yeah, I'm a Stud

mofosheee

Registered
Registered
Hello Forum

I have stud seized by rust in an aluminum motorcycle case. I've made various attempts to remove this part such as; cleaned it up, heat, cold, heat, cold with penetrating oil, double nut, love taps............
Before things really turn to sheet and I break it off flush with the case. I have considered and induction heater and alum. I'd love to hear what the experts say.
Thanks again!

and

Attachments

• XR stud.jpg
    XR stud.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20230702_120218098.jpg
    IMG_20230702_120218098.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 46
Try heating the stud very hot - Not red hot but pretty close / smokin' hot, then hold a piece of paraffin wax, or a candle to it.
The wax will usually wick down the threads and help release it. This will sometimes work better than normal penetrating oil.
Just heating and cooling several times will often break it free from the corrosion - Be patient.

When faced with the same problem on a Kawasaki KZ750 engine, I bought a stud puller. It gouged a few of the studs during extraction, but it got them out.

Damn, that’s ugly.

I’ve used alum and battery acid to remove a broken 2mm tap from an aluminum helicopter part I was making with good results.

Didn’t realize induction heaters were that cheap now.

But as to your situation I thInk I’d cut it off flush and grind it out with a carbide burr.

This is what I do on outboard lower units as you’re not getting the bolts out of those with conventional means.

Heat and penetrating solvent may get it, but there's a good chance it'll break off anyhow.
In that case the best would be to mount it on a mill and drill it out. Second best would be to drill it out by hand
if you have a steady hand and a good eye- in my youth I was able but nowadays... not so much
Then pick out the pieces and finish with a cleanup tap

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. My intended approach is to be as non invasive and gentle as possible.

I remember other threads here saying that the modern ATF doesn't dissolve in acetone any more, so it's not as effective?
I’ve had no problems. Maybe that’s with synthetic ATF?

Alum powder and water (you don't need an acid, nor do you want an acid)...
heat the water for a faster action..

in your case you may want to build a damn around it using clay or something.
It won't hurt the Aluminum..
Grocery store will have Alum powder.

Look it up on youtube or do a search.

Back