Yeah, I'm a Stud

Yep, quite possible. Then you break out the JB weld! Put it in there forever LOL
But yea, insert is best

A Harley Sportster case. XR, whatever. Easy to screw up, so one of the best tools you have is time. The "Ed's Red" mentioned is good stuff. I would build a wall of sorts around the naughty stud and pour the Ed's Red in. Let it set. Every day or more check it's still covered with the mix and add more as needed.
The idea previously mentioned of cutting the stud off just above the case and welding a nut on to use an impact on is good as that stud will bow as you apply any torque to it by hand or impact. And you don't want to re-use it anyway.
I wouldn't want to snap it off in the case. I've had a big twin case with one snapped off. I'm kind of anal about centering up on broken fasteners, and when I got it ready I still had to hold my tongue right to get the cylinder and head on.
Before you go back together get new headbolts. Probably all of them need replaced.
And yes; I'll shut up now.
I prefer your approach in being as least "invasive" as possible. With that, I do have time on my side.
First "go to" will be application penetrating fluids ed's red and or alum.
Last resort; welding, cutting, grinding, easy outs, the mill

In order of operation...
Double nut
Stud puller
Weld nut over broken stud
Drill out broken stud

When drilling out fasteners, it's critical to go slow. Start with a small bit, and work it sideways as needed until you are in the center of the bolt. Then step up the bit size slowly, using LH bits. As the broken fastener gets thin, like a shell, it typically spins out.

Heli-coils installed properly, have saved many a problem In my experience.
True, but inserts being all one unit are the best ticket for things like head studs and spark plugs where strength and being able to change it out in the case of the spark plugs. Seems like a small thing but inserts are stronger IMHO.

Cleaned up the stud / thread interface and soaked the area with penetrating for 24 hours. Still wouldn't budge using the double nut method. Got it toasty with a propane torch and let it cool. Douched the stud with the entire contents of an inverted can of compressed air until it became super cold. Applied penetrating oil and allowed the surfaces to come up to room temp. Using the double nut method, the stud broke free and the are threads intact. I consider myself lucky. You guys gave me the best options should things have turned to sheet. I thank all who responded.

Attachments

• Success.jpg
    Success.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 11
Back