Would this enrage you enough to return the product?

In November I purchased a 5" 4 jaw but when order it I knew it would need a backing plate to .
The only way not to need a backing is use a small 4 jaw.

Note LMS has backing plate mashed for 4" to 5" chuck just bolt and use.
See https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2347
Or

Dave

Last edited:
I would order a cast iron backing plate from CDCO.. I used one for my SB 9" and it has been great. Thick, I could have made an adjusta true backplate with it , it was that beefy.

Well I'm guessing Sanou is a manufacturer while Vevor is an importer. The packaging isn't even typical for Sanou, usually they come in glossy white and another color, yellow maybe. This was just a brown albeit fitted cardboard box.

I've seen other names along with Sanou on the face of the chuck, CME comes to mind. But 'Vevor' entirely replaced 'Sanou' on this one.

I will point out that other Sanou chucks could have a die cast back plate (maybe it was a review of a 3 jaw I saw). Whatever exactly is going on at this thing's rear, it's all steel.
They have three pages of different backs for all types of lathes.

Dave

I will point out that other Sanou chucks could have a die cast back
I got a Sanou 6" 3 jaw as part of the deal when I got my BS1 indexing head. The back is not steel, some sort of diecast. It works but feels a bit cheesy. Not a big deal for the use. The only Vevor thing I've gotten was OK & a good deal for the cheap price. It required a bit of work to make it really decent but works fine now. Like someone said a lot of rebranding goes on from China. I wouldn't expect a fine European or Taiwan quality chuck for $63. I have an 8" 3 jaw from Taiwan. It's miles better than the Chinese ones I have. But it cost a lot more also.

Since it's a 4-jaw I would keep it, as long as the jaws seem to operate ok. The jaws might be a bit soft but for hobby use it should be fine
If you have a flange mount spindle you can use any material for a backplate- except plutonium (88 miles an hour!)
Threaded spindles it's best to use cast iron to prevent galling and seizing

Last edited:
ok not enrage exactly. I bought a 5" 4 jaw independent chuck on Amazon. The photos show the name 'Sanou' laser engraved on the chuck. I am under no delusion that Sanou should be regarded as premium quality. But better that I figure then some nameless non brand (or 1 of Sanous rejects they didn't want their name on). Don't know if Sanou is a manufacturer or importer. Instead though my chuck has Vevor on it.

So ... assert my rights and get my 43$ back? There were a couple of discounts, and that was the price shipped. Or just live with ... whatever. It looks fine (as if that meant anything). I still have to make a backplate.

You bought an impossibly cheap tool.
If I had stooped to buying such a cheap thing and something wasn't right I would be too embarassed to publicly complain about it.

Back