Would this enrage you enough to return the product?

skogkatt007

Registered
Registered
ok not enrage exactly. I bought a 5" 4 jaw independent chuck on Amazon. The photos show the name 'Sanou' laser engraved on the chuck. I am under no delusion that Sanou should be regarded as premium quality. But better that I figure then some nameless non brand (or 1 of Sanous rejects they didn't want their name on). Don't know if Sanou is a manufacturer or importer. Instead though my chuck has Vevor on it.

So ... assert my rights and get my 43$ back? There were a couple of discounts, and that was the price shipped. Or just live with ... whatever. It looks fine (as if that meant anything). I still have to make a backplate.

ok not enrage exactly. I bought a 5" 4 jaw independent chuck on Amazon. The photos show the name 'Sanou' laser engraved on the chuck. I am under no delusion that Sanou should be regarded as premium quality. But better that I figure then some nameless non brand (or 1 of Sanous rejects they didn't want their name on). Don't know if Sanou is a manufacturer or importer. Instead though my chuck has Vevor on it.

So ... assert my rights and get my 43$ back? There were a couple of discounts, and that was the price shipped. Or just live with ... whatever. It looks fine (as if that meant anything). I still have to make a backplate.
If they delivered a different brand chuck than pictured - and the listing said Sanou - then that is the very definition of bait and switch. As far as I know that is not legal in many states. But the devil is in the details. What did the listing actually say?

Sanou is ok, I have a couple of their chucks and they are fine. Vevor is not known for top quality stuff, it's more what can they cut out of the product and barely have it work, (and be able to sell it) but that's only my opinion.

I'd be ******, but if I were you, I'd try it out and see if it stinks, umm, I mean if it is ok. If your listing said Sanou and you got Vevor, I'd say you were short changed. At the very least, the ad is deceptive.

That being said, $43 isn't much money these days (for a chuck). Do the jaws move smoothly? My Sanou's are smooth. Whatever you do, don't wait to act. If you want your money back just do it. Amazon is pretty good about that. If it doesn't match the description in the ad, I'd return it, but that's me.

I have other Sanous, 2-4". Got them real cheap. They look nice and all, have all the basic features. All of them (except the m14 x 1 threaded ones) need backplates.

I don't know how long Amazon gives you to return. Clearly they're in the wrong, and my yet to be posted review says so. It's a question of whether I'll be able to make a backplate within the return window. I'm very sloooow.

Send them a nasty email complaining and then take the $5 discount or whatever they offer for the "mistake". Yeah it is annoying, but at that price I'd have a hard time finding the energy to be angry over the name on the chuck. Only thing I'd really worry about is if it was functional. It just happens I've been looking at 5" no name 4 jaw chucks and most are at least 3 times that price.

I don't know what the going rate is for a 5" 4-jaw chuck, but $43 sounds pretty cheap.
It was 63$, I linked a new card and there was an embedded 20% off. Thus the price.

Lol I'm using the carton for storage alteady.

I had already chucked an old ~3/8" rod I scavenged from a printer. Didn't seem to rock. Hard to know for sure if it's not mounted on the lathe.

Attachments

• 20240107_183459.jpg
    20240107_183459.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240107_183513.jpg
    20240107_183513.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240107_183543.jpg
    20240107_183543.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
From what I have seen, that chuck normally sells for 2X to 5x what you paid. Also Vervor shows the Sanou 5" chuck on their website but the description calls it A Vervor chuck. Many manufacturers buy from others manufacturers and label with their private brand. It may very well be a Sanou chuck. FWIW, Vervor lists the chuck for $66.

Well I'm guessing Sanou is a manufacturer while Vevor is an importer. The packaging isn't even typical for Sanou, usually they come in glossy white and another color, yellow maybe. This was just a brown albeit fitted cardboard box.

I've seen other names along with Sanou on the face of the chuck, CME comes to mind. But 'Vevor' entirely replaced 'Sanou' on this one.

I will point out that other Sanou chucks could have a die cast back plate (maybe it was a review of a 3 jaw I saw). Whatever exactly is going on at this thing's rear, it's all steel.

Send it back, dig deep.

And order a Bison.

Or, use it and ignore what name it has on it. 4 jaw chucks depend on you for accuracy. You bought the least expensive option available, and presumably you knew this when you ordered it.

If it’s a matter of principal you are in the right and Amazon should honor that. However, how many new $43 chucks do you expect to get?

JMHO,

John

Back