Will a chain fall work well horizontally

I'd buy the history. I have 3 offshore chainfalls (long story) and just bought a CF brand 2 ton used for 75 Canadian pesos. Wish I had bought the old CF one years ago. BTW CF is a commercial one made here until 10 years ago. The old well made ones never die - you only need to replace the bushings every 50 years or so - unless someone breaks some teeth. If it turns, it's worth it to buy history.

History didn't happen. The seller baite and switched. The coffing pictured was not the coffing he was selling. The one he was selling had a cracked housing/frame, and was painted. the one in the pics had no paint.

Off to harbor freight to get a come along. I decided not to look at the yale as I didn't like where it was located, lots of shootings in that area, so we see on the news.

So they thought you would take the bait & switch lying down? :(
Both ebay and craigslist have some questionable characters. For Christmas my son wanted a lens for his cannon camera. over 800. I found a used one on craigslist. The guy said in excellent working condition. The lens would not move, totally hosed. He tried to say he said excellent looking condition. But clearly it said excellent working condition.. he said he knows nothing about what he sells.
Ebay stood behind me.
But with craigslist, you are on your own. as soon as I saw the painted unit, I was put off, because it wasn't what he showed on the add. He said it's the same type of unit. But when I saw the crack.. I walked.

But when I saw the crack.. I walked.
Typical of CL in many cases and anyone needs to approach the seller alert, no matter what's being sold.

If you go with HF I'm sure it will come with instructions on using it horizontally , clockwise or anti-clockwise. :big grin:

The HF unit will work OK. As I said, I have 3 offshore chain hoists, all of which have been tested at 3/4 of their rated weight. The CF is 3 times the size, with gears to match. Since I'll be needing all 2 tons of it, I'm glad for the find.

When I buy offshore I derate the capacity by at least 25%...

I'm not done looking, they are plentiful on craigslist. I want a 2 ton.. some ask a lot, some not so much.
I don't think I want to travel an hour again. Trying to look for something closer.

Good fortune on your search!

Back