Will a chain fall work well horizontally

a come along is a lot friendlier to use horizontally than a chain fall, but a chain fall does work horizontally
i pulled a 1200 lb lathe on skids, 20 ft to load onto a trailer with a 1T chain fall and tackle-
it was a long day.... the chain falls' chain likes to bind when in is not in the upright position, but i managed to get it done.
So can you!
maybe i can rig up a wheel spring loaded to hold the chain from sagging and preventing the links from getting all crooked.

I used a chain falls to pull a diesel fuel tank onto a trailer and it was not full but not empty either. Worked like a charm.
Pierre

Just think of our ages and backs.

True, but whenever I think about my father-in-law lifting the bed of the old Lodge & Shipley to get it into my truck when I moved it up to Sacramento, and how he did it, I never question what was accomplished before my time. This block and tackle looked like a toy. The pulleys are about 2" and the cord is parachute cord. You must have limited the number of pulleys to what you though you could carry. :)

Block & Tackle.jpg

True, but whenever I think about my father-in-law lifting the bed of the old Lodge & Shipley to get it into my truck when I moved it up to Sacramento, and how he did it, I never question what was accomplished before my time. This block and tackle looked like a toy. The pulleys are about 2" and the cord is parachute cord. You must have limited the number of pulleys to what you though you could carry. :)

that looks like 3 sheaves up top and 2 at the bottom, looks like it had some advantage. Would not mind using that, but I don't think the rope will hold for that load. I think I am looking at 4 thousand pounds at least. I don't know how much your lodge and shipley was, assuming it was more, but would what looks like 3/8 to 1/2 rope at most handle that much force. I remember the last tough tree I tried to take out at a friends house, he had a neighbor with a flat bed tow truck , and that thing groaned when trying to pull out the stump. He tried the winch, then he used the hydraulics on the bed, at first it pulled the truck until he blocked the tires. I think I have an advantage in that my roots have rotted, and I have all the mains cut that spread out, I just don't have the mains that are going straight down.

And of course, it doesn't give me an excuse to get a fall. I have quite a few up on craigslist near me. All nice units. Yale, and coffing

I don't know how much your lodge and shipley was, assuming it was more, but would what looks like 3/8 to 1/2 rope at most handle that much force.

At the time I was surprised he lifted the the lathe at all. When it was in my 3/4 ton pickup I had some concerns about driving 400 miles. With that said, there's a bit of math involved in calculating the load each section of rope or cable is subjected to in the block and tackle arrangement. This isn't something I do every day but I did enjoy the debates from the guys working the oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. In there case they were dealing with what both ends of the line are attached to. That being the end that's tied off to the winch (deck) and the upper block carrying the dead load. All the strands between the pulley sets carry a divided load. The load rating for the cord is close to 600#. My position today, (especially when old guys are involved:D) after asking; "Are you sure you want to do that?" is to be far enough away to avoid the fallout, or, never on an oil rig.

What's involved in the stump removal is how intact the roots are, and we're guessing, but pulling sideways is your best bet. With everything commented, keeping the chain clean would be first to keeping it straight because the clearances are tight and the chain is sized for the hoist.

Last edited:
a come along is a lot friendlier to use horizontally than a chain fall, but a chain fall does work horizontally
i pulled a 1200 lb lathe on skids, 20 ft to load onto a trailer with a 1T chain fall and tackle-
it was a long day.... the chain falls' chain likes to bind when in is not in the upright position, but i managed to get it done.
So can you!
I pulled a milling machine up in the trailer with a chain fall it works good if yo feed the loose chains into it.
Two people make that easier

It's not bad even by yourself if you are working from the far end of the loop so you can keep it tight, once the load is on it. Then the only thing is that it may want to turn on its anchor point so that the chain doesn't want to feed back through. I find it works best if the "axle" is kept horizontal. It is easier with 2 people, but manageable with one. But of course, always when working with things like this, it's a good idea to have someone there with you in case something were to go wrong. It does happen.

I've jammed a chain fall using it in the horizontal position, but no biggie, just release the tension and pry for a sec with a screwdriver to release the jammed chain.

Back