Will a chain fall work well horizontally

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
Just dug out a root ball on a dead tree, undercut as much as possible, still stubborn. Figured I could use a chain fall (don't have one, would like one) chained to another tree's base, and pull it over. Its been dead for years, I just cut as much of the root as possible as it was mostly all rotted away. Figured I'd put the chain fall at the top of the dead stump 5-6 ' up, and pull it down.

I did that two years ago and used a come along pulling against a big red pine. I dug around some of the roots
and washed the roots off with a garden hose, then sawing the roots with a chain saw. The root ball weighed
about 1000 pounds.

Edit: Also, if you need more pulling power, one can use the pulley to increase the pull x2.

Last edited:
You could do it with a couple rope sheeves and rope , attach a pulley to the stump and another to your tree. Then tie the rope to the stump feed thru the one on the tree , back to the stump thru the pulley and hook it to your truck or trailer hitch then use you auto to slowly tension rope . I bet it moves easily.

A good chain fall or chain hoist is very spendy and the cable come-a-longs work well for what you are doing.

Just remember to pull sideways. :) I agreed to remove some trees for a friend years ago. I have a refurbished Allis-Chalmers 1-Ton chain fall and didn't have anything to really anchor to so I put together a tripod built with 3" channel. I had cut every root I could see and the stump wouldn't budge. It's amazing what strength a 3/4" +/- root has.

You could do it with a couple rope sheeves and rope , attach a pulley to the stump and another to your tree. Then tie the rope to the stump feed thru the one on the tree , back to the stump thru the pulley and hook it to your truck or trailer hitch then use you auto to slowly tension rope . I bet it moves easily.
I don't think the car would be needed. :)

a come along is a lot friendlier to use horizontally than a chain fall, but a chain fall does work horizontally
i pulled a 1200 lb lathe on skids, 20 ft to load onto a trailer with a 1T chain fall and tackle-
it was a long day.... the chain falls' chain likes to bind when in is not in the upright position, but i managed to get it done.
So can you!

-It depends on what you have at hand. If you have a chain and a 4X4, or pulleys and rope, or a chain fall you can borrow. All can be effective.

I did that two years ago and used a come along pulling against a big red pine. I dug around some of the roots
and washed the roots off with a garden hose, then sawing the roots with a chain saw. The root ball weighed
about 1000 pounds.

Edit: Also, if you need more pulling power, one can use the pulley to increase the pull x2.

Yep, i had a come a long, loaned it out.. never got it back don't really need another. But I do have a need for a fall occasionally.. so not having one, was hoping to use it, at least I can justify it with the wife :big grin: Not that I have to, but she keeps seeing tools coming in, and nothing for it.

Back