Who needs digital

Gotta step out for awhile , but this will be tonights' entertainment . :encourage: Maybe we'll learn something .
I couldn't see that, too small, and downloading it and enlarging doesn't help, not enough resolution.

Yes , but why ? :) I found this out on my own and can't explain it to anyone , but I know it's the truth ! :cussing:
BTW with ACID hydrogen embrittlement occurs.
that may well be the same for the Chelate process... testing will tell.

Spring steel may require abrasive only treatments...

I sanded off the coating on the banding, put the banding in water, took it out, waited a while and still no rust.

WHY???? isn't my hard water good enough??? I get rust all the time when I don't want it... NOW THAT I WANT IT NOTHING:bang head::burned up:

The is a good chance the the spring steel hoop at the top will fall into pieces if left to soak in Evaporust. Not always ,but it does happen. Don't know what you want to call it. I have had a pair fall apart in an overnight bath. The spring steel fell into pieces. Also it will ruin the finish on gauge blocks. Just my experience.

Someone gave me a handful of rusty dividers. How to clean them safely? Remove the spring steel? Then soak them? Something else? The threads on them are really fine pitch, don't want to ruin them.

I had bought some Evaporust, but it doesn't like a good idea to use it on the dividers.

not sure why I can't get rust to form on these. Still no rust ..

I can stick them on evapo rust, but I believe I need rust to see full results.
anyone got an idea how to get rust on them w/out screwing the test up?

Attachments

• 20211215_115715.jpg
    20211215_115715.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20211215_120444.jpg
    20211215_120444.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211215_120532.jpg
    20211215_120532.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211215_122110.jpg
    20211215_122110.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 15
great replies, I have a 300mm clock vernier like you pictured and a 150, the 400mm 16 inch chuck needed counterboring on the back to fit my Cazanueve mounting, out to 320mm, I used the outside calliper, had not as yet received the 20inch internal, so from the outside calliper, I made a rod to fit it then I snuck up on the target so slowly, the result,an interference it, in fact unless you have telescopic tools or inside mic ,you cannot FEEL where you are with a vernier?least I cannot

Is banding for crates made out of SS? I have removed the paint coating (black) sanded it, I used acetone to remove any remaining coating, still unable to get it to rust.

It is magnetic, but there are SS that are magnetic...

I can throw it in the evaporust, but I doubt this will prove anything.

The is a good chance the the spring steel hoop at the top will fall into pieces if left to soak in Evaporust. Not always ,but it does happen. Don't know what you want to call it. I have had a pair fall apart in an overnight bath. The spring steel fell into pieces. Also it will ruin the finish on gauge blocks. Just my experience.
Hey ! Same thing here . Back from work , they say they all miss me . :rolleyes: Of course I work with a bunch of :bs: ers ! :grin: I'll be doing this experiment tonight and will keep the results up to date .

Back