Who needs digital

I've found out over the years , certain tools and Evaporust don't get along for some reason . These dividers and feeler gauges to name a few . The spring steel is the issue on the dividers , not sure why . :dunno:
so what happens to the spring steel?

The dividers fall apart ! The feeler gauges come out absolutely useless also covered in a " black crud " .

Certain acids kill spring steel very rapidly. Vinegar is a definite no no. It loses its spring and breaks if flexed.

Certain acids kill spring steel very rapidly. Vinegar is a definite no no. It loses its spring and breaks if flexed.
Yes , but why ? :) I found this out on my own and can't explain it to anyone , but I know it's the truth ! :cussing:

yes, but evapo rust is not an acid. it's a chelated process.. think of it more like potatoes in water... yea, I tried that once to derust these long, long bars for a wood working machine... it worked but it stunk ... I had to leave it in there for a long time... Evapo rust is the same chelated process but no smell...

it does bond hydrogen on the same molecule though. I think the acid add a hydrogen atom, I think chelating uses hydrogen in the molecule ...
any chemists here that can corroberate. Maybe I will take my spring steel cache cut a piece and leave it in there for a definitive test.
I would understand acid doing this... I'm not sure about evapo rust...

Not that I don't trust you Dave, but it's worth another test. My back is out, so I am down for the count right now. The results of sitting around at my sons... not very supportive furniture.. (damn)...

Last edited:
Well , only one way to get to the truth ! I have to stop over work to say HI to everyone , but after that , I'll set up a test of sort . I have about 100 or so mixed dividers and will pick out a sacrificial lamb . I'll use the Rust Lick from WD-40 ( same as Evaporust ) . Lets see what happens ! :grin:

Well , only one way to get to the truth ! I have to stop over work to say HI to everyone , but after that , I'll set up a test of sort . I have about 100 or so mixed dividers and will pick out a sacrificial lamb . I'll use the Rust Lick from WD-40 ( same as Evaporust ) . Lets see what happens ! :grin:
how long do you think is necessary? 1 hour - 2 hours - 3 hours... 1 day?
I should probably test all of them.
cut multiple pieces of the banding.

Says 24 hrs . I think . I'll bring the WD-40 in and get a pic of the instructions and we'll go from there . :encourage:

Gotta step out for awhile , but this will be tonights' entertainment . :encourage: Maybe we'll learn something .

Attachments

• IMG_8865.JPG
    IMG_8865.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8866.JPG
    IMG_8866.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 11
Back