Which brand phase converter to purchase

I have phase-o-matic static converters and an american rotary rotary converter and a-phase-o-matic rotary converter. I have had good luck with these although I prefer the 2 rotary converters eventually i will ditch the statics and convert completely to rotary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, gonna pull the trigger on a rotary. Thanks guys.

Now I am just trying to decide the size. I want to be able to run the mill and surface grinder. I eventually will have a lathe I just don't know how big the motor will be for it. Guessing the standard engine lathes/tool room lathes are 7.5-10 hp?

Well, gonna pull the trigger on a rotary. Thanks guys.

Now I am just trying to decide the size. I want to be able to run the mill and surface grinder. I eventually will have a lathe I just don't know how big the motor will be for it. Guessing the standard engine lathes/tool room lathes are 7.5-10 hp?
How big is your shop and how much power is coming in from the utility? Not much point on making it bigger than you can power, and unless you're running a pro shop you'll only be running one machine at a time.

John

I would agree that most 16" lathes are between 7.5 and 10 hp. However that' a big and heavy machine for almost any hobby situation. They usually weigh around 5,000 lbs., and have maximum speeds in the 1,500 to 1,800 rpm range.

The more common "tool room" lathes are in the 12" to 14" range, weigh around 2,000 lbs., have a maximum speed just north of 2,000 rpm, and use around a 2 to 3 hp motor.

I have a 13" Sheldon MW-56-P. It has a minimum speed of 48 rpm, a maximum speed of 2,200 rpm, a 56" bed, and uses a 2 hp motor. I have turned stock up to 12" in diameter and was not at a loss for either power or speed. I think you'll find similar size lathes (especially 3 phase models) more plentiful and less expensive than the 16" variety.

As an FYI a friend of mine has a fabrication/repair shop. He had both a 16" Leblonde and a 13" Leblonde for many years. He recently let the 16" machine go because the 13" machine is more than adequate for 99+% of the work he has had in the last 10 years. The 16" machine mainly gathered dust and took up space. Unless you're doing oil field type work I think the 13" machine would also be more than adequate.

I have plenty of power in the shop. 400 amps of 230v. I run a marine service business. I can get 3 phase its just too much on the monthly bill unless my ideas take off. ;) ;)

I have plenty of power in the shop. 400 amps of 230v. I run a marine service business. I can get 3 phase its just too much on the monthly bill unless my ideas take off. ;) ;)

Nice, what are you doing on here though? This time of year you should be winterizing and shrink wrapping like a mad man....

One of my friends just opened a new facility in Leelaunau county, one of the best businesses to be in where you're at :encourage:

John

I have made several (7 I think) rotary phase converters over the years... They're so easy to make that I feel a little sheepish saying that I made them.
Finding an old 3 phase motor in good condition of almost any size is easy enough.
Buying the run capacitors and tuning it is easy enough... The most recent one that I built included a box with separate cap banks for each phase, and brought caps in and out with regular AC light switches to get the best balance between flat voltage and low amperage.

I went with a 25HP rotary for a few reasons...
1. Have to start some big motors. That's the obvious.
2. Start with a pony motor (5HP) and then close in the 25HP with a contactor, so don't worry about start surge of a 25HP.
3. Running amps on my unloaded 25HP motor can be tuned (with capacitors) down to 3-4 amps.

My first rotary phase converter - can't even include that in the "built" list. It was a 10 HP 1760 RPM that I'd spin up with a corded drill to about the right speed and close an old breaker... It would bang into phase and I'd have unbalanced 3 phase. Occasionally I'd mis-guess the speed and close the breaker to an immediate trip.
I ran that thing unbalanced for 10 years or more and close to capacity. All machines that I ran off that old 10HP continue to run to this day without a hiccup. If I had thrown a clamp on ammeter on the phases I probably wouldn't have run that way longer than it would have taken me to build the balance box.
I include that old 10HP story to illustrate how easy it can be improved on... Not as a recommendation. I did a lot of really stupid things in my 20's that I wouldn't do again if I had the means to do better.

Back