Which brand phase converter to purchase

I use a Phase-A-Matic to drive the Bridgeport, Kalamazoo 9x16” saw, and Takisawa 14” lathe. I have twist-lock connectors and just plug in whatever i’m using. I’m with MrWhopee, the noise would drive me crazy and having it spinning all the time would just be quite unappealing to me.

The PAM has worked fine for each of these machines.

I have an American Rotary AMP-10. It is as quiet as you will find, made in USA & it is on wheels so you can roll it out of your way (to sweep, e.g.).

Mine came with a 20A receptacle, and I am now adding a 30A receptacle. These can have up to 3 receptacles.

Some YouTuber has a 10% coupon code, but I don’t know any more than that. I didn’t hear about the coupon code until after I bought mine.

I have found American Rotary to be very professional, helpful and responsive.

Last edited:
Hmm, I wonder why I ask questions...now I have more research to do. I thought the only option was the two motor style where one motor spins another...

I appreciate all the replys, thank you folks.

Now it's off to Google land for me i guess. Got to figure out the difference between static, vfd, and rotary...

Simplest option is a static phase converter, just wire it to 220v single phase and hook up your machine. A vfd will require some wiring on your mill but will give you infinitely variable speed control and some other options. A rotary phase converter will serve several different machines and can often be a better option for large older machines with big motors and complex control systems.

You will find many, many threads on here about the different options but if you want the simple answer this is the unit I bought for my lathe and it should work for your application.

John

BTW, good to hear you've got one of the Bridgeports to the point where you're ready to power it :encourage:

John

I might be an old dog unwilling to learn some new tricks, but in many cases I definitely prefer a static or rotary converter to a VFD. I looked into the VFD's for both my Bridgeport mill and Sheldon lathe. In both cases the functions now controlled by the original machine switches would be transferred to the VFD. That doesn't sound like much of a problem under normal circumstances, but it could come into play in an emergency situation.

I originally learned and regularly perform functions like switching the machine on and off reaching for the original controls. Also in the mix are speed changes and directional changes. An example might be tapping. I slow the mill to around 90 rpm, engage the part, and allow it to tap to the required depth. I watch closely with one hand on the forward/reverse switch and reverse directions instantly when the proper depth is reached. It would take a whole new learning curve to perform this function from a more remotely positioned VFD. Also in an emergency shut down situation I might find myself through force of habit reaching for the machine push button station rather than the VFD.

These same functions could also be troublesome on my Sheldon lathe. While the same functions could be programed into the VFD habit and muscle memory would likely kick in should an emergency arise. The factory push button control station couldn't be more conveniently located. Even if a VFD was installed in the exact same location it would be a totally different physical function to change speeds, directions, or even power up the machine.

VFD's definitely have their place. However there are some situations where the original controls powered by a rotary or static converter are (at least in my mind) preferable.

Another vote for North American Phase Converter RPCs—very efficient, quiet, reasonable, and great support.

That doesn't sound like much of a problem under normal circumstances, but it could come into play in an emergency situation.

I originally learned and regularly perform functions like switching the machine on and off reaching for the original controls. Also in the mix are speed changes and directional changes. An example might be tapping. I slow the mill to around 90 rpm, engage the part, and allow it to tap to the required depth. I watch closely with one hand on the forward/reverse switch and reverse directions instantly when the proper depth is reached. It would take a whole new learning curve to perform this function from a more remotely positioned VFD. Also in an emergency shut down situation I might find myself through force of habit reaching for the machine push button station rather than the VFD.

These same functions could also be troublesome on my Sheldon lathe. While the same functions could be programed into the VFD habit and muscle memory would likely kick in should an emergency arise. The factory push button control station couldn't be more conveniently located. Even if a VFD was installed in the exact same location it would be a totally different physical function to change speeds, directions, or even power up the machine.

"90 rpm! Ve don't haf all day, vind dat ting up!"

I agree with the point about ingrained habits and muscle memory. If you've been doing it a long time, your reactions in critical situations are almost instinctive. The simple fact that my Kent mill has a 2-speed motor (and switch) causes me no end of problems because all my time in the trade was on single speed machines. I can't count the number of times I've thrown it into high when I wanted reverse.:mad:

"90 rpm! Ve don't haf all day, vind dat ting up!"

I agree with the point about ingrained habits and muscle memory. If you've been doing it a long time, your reactions in critical situations are almost instinctive. The simple fact that my Kent mill has a 2-speed motor (and switch) causes me no end of problems because all my time in the trade was on single speed machines. I can't count the number of times I've thrown it into high when I wanted reverse.:mad:

Old habits die hard. In my working days most material being machined and tapped was either 316 or 14-4 stainless. The last thing you wanted to do was break a tap in an inch (or thicker) plate 2 ft. wide and 4ft. long. Removing a broken tap without ruining the part is one of the most time consuming and aggravating jobs I could think of.

I was part of a project where one of the machinists broke a 1"-12 tap in a 1 1/2" plate. Removing the tap was a miserable job. After multiple tries at disintegrating or otherwise removing the tap finally cut out a plug with a hole saw, turned a new piece on a lathe, pressed it in place, welded it on both sides, machined it flat again (on both sides) and redrilled and retapped the hole. The whole process took the better part of a day. It's something I didn't want to repeat, so going slow and easy seemed to be the best way to tell if the tap was having trouble. If trouble developed the problem could be resolved before it turned into a catastrophe.

Last edited:
I might be an old dog unwilling to learn some new tricks, but in many cases I definitely prefer a static or rotary converter to a VFD. I looked into the VFD's for both my Bridgeport mill and Sheldon lathe. In both cases the functions now controlled by the original machine switches would be transferred to the VFD. That doesn't sound like much of a problem under normal circumstances, but it could come into play in an emergency situation.

VFD's definitely have their place. However there are some situations where the original controls powered by a rotary or static converter are (at least in my mind) preferable.

This is how I solved that problem. I just replaced the original switch with the VFD
1604165016878.png

Then later when I removed the mechanical variable speed and went to direct drive, still in the same general area. The VFD is mounted on the back of the machine now.

Speed, For/Rev, Start, Stop
1604165095426.png

Back