Which brand phase converter to purchase

Jakedaawg

Registered
Registered
Well, its time to pull the trigger on a phase converter for my Bridgeport 2hp.

What is the go to brand? I know American rotary seems to dominate the market but are there others that are just as good? It will be used a couple times a week, maybe more eventually.

I have several "American Rotary" static converters and they have been doing a fine job for over 5 years. I also have a 10 hp American Rotary, rotary style converter that was supposed to replace all the static converters. I went so far as to have a sub panel installed to power it. However it's been setting under the bench for almost 5 years now.

I'm not sure if I'll ever install it. The static converters seem to work well, and I'm not sure I want to spend the time, energy, and money for no foreseeable power or longevity advantage. Projects seem to keep piling up rather than being completed.

As an FYI American Rotary no longer makes static converters. A few years ago they bought out North America Phase Converter Co. North America makes both static and rotary converters.

I have a North American static phase converter bought earlier this year. Works fine for me, no hassle and powers my lathe without fail.

John

I have a $100 static phase converter from ebay for about 3 years and a home made one for my drill press that has been going for about 15 years. All working fine

Take a few different brands and do an internet search of each one first. See which has good online support for programming it or with problems first. Check which forums come up and how they answer questions for help. Don't buy one that no one seems to know about because you have less options for help.

I bought a rotary phase converter for my mill from North American about 5 years ago. It has been trouble free.

Then when I got a larger lathe, I needed to up the capacity of the converter and they helped me through the design for adding a second motor. Very responsive and helpful technical folks.

I would definitely do business with them again.

I would use a VFD if that is your only 3 phase machine. Less money and quite reliable. But stay away from the really cheap ones on Ebay and Amazon. Teco and Automation Direct GS 3 units are very good.

I am impressed with American Rotary's quality. Their support is good; I called them the other day about my options to increase output on my RPC in anticipation of a large lathe. I can either gang two untis or replace and upgrade. If I decide to replace mine with a bigger unit, I'll go through American Rotary again.

I have American Rotary Phase converters. Totally pleased with them. I have an old Phase-a-Matic static converter on my Doall bandsaw. It was on it when I bought it and works as it should.

I purchased a WNY SPC from these people.

It was well under $100, and intended to be a temporary solution until I received the 7.5 hp RPC that I'd been promised. After I received the RPC and used it for a while, I decided I didn't like the constant whine, and my wife didn't like the electric bill. I put the SPC back in service. No plans to replace it. If anyone wants the rotary, it's available.

Back