Which brand phase converter to purchase

Well, it showed up too close to beer thirty. I guess it will be tomorrows' project.

A vfd will require some wiring on your mill but will give you infinitely variable speed control and some other options

I know I'm late to the party here, but I question the above. Unless AC motors are designed for VFD use I believe running them with a VFD can be detrimental to the life of the motor when run out of spec.

However, if the VFD control was set up to send the spec power to the motor (not vary the frequency to vary the speed) I can't see how that would be any different than service 3 phase, as the motor would see it. If the object was to vary the RPM of the motor - then my same thought above is there - unless a motor is spec'd for VFD control I believe it will shorten the lifespan of the motor.

In the case of a large machine like a Bridgeport mill - the motor is something I would want to take a lot of care of and not do anything that would expedite its' demise.

I know on smaller machines - gear drive lathes for example - VFD conversions (controls AND 3-phase VFD-compatible motor) are popular, but are still expensive conversions.

Another, possibly off the wall, thought -

If there is a possible future application in the shop for VFD control to control the speed of a motor on a machine - then the investment of the VFD unit might be a better long-term investment than a RPC, or SPC. Though, if what ever option is chosen is to be married to the mill and never leave then it might make the decision a bit harder.

Food for thought anyway.

Well, they are dropping the new ADX 20 by American Rotary here at the shop today. This will be much less expensive than having a 3 phase drop from the pole.

I ordered yesterday morning fornthe cyber Monday event discount and its here by noon today. Long way around the lake. I will be impressed.

Now I just got to get the fork lift fired up.

Please do a favor for me if you have an amp probe. Would you measure the idle current without your machine turned on, just the input side. I have been curious about a normal RPC idle current.

When the sparky hooks it up ill ask him to check. You want to know how many single phase amps it draws from the main panel? Without a load there would be no amps on the 3 phase side i would think.

@JimDawson

@Jakedaawg - with no load on the output (3 phase side) the input (single phase side) current, when "running", would be the "idle current". That is the power it takes unloaded just to power it on, and not pull off the 3-phase output.

When the sparky hooks it up ill ask him to check. You want to know how many single phase amps it draws from the main panel? Without a load there would be no amps on the 3 phase side i would think.

@JimDawson

Yup, just the single phase side from the main panel. Thank you.

Back