Whatz a hobbyist?

I make what I can so I don't have to buy the cheesy crappie overpriced stuff made by crook companies Nowadays .:mad: Both here and abroad

When my former colleagues heard that I was retiring they seemed to think that they needed to find things for me to do to 'help me keep busy'. It was very considerate of them wasn't it. This common reaction got old real quick so I stopped telling people that I am retired and say that I am self employed instead. It saves a lot frustration.

Now I am wondering about calling myself a hobby machinist. When I told my neighbour that I was getting into the hobby of machining and bought a lathe, he said ''Oh that's good to know, I can't use the one at work any more so your lathe will come in handy for me.''
He is a good neighbour but not that good. I had to diplomatically explain my 'project' to dispel his assumption about my plans.

So now instead of referring to myself as a hobbyist, I give my definition of it: I am self employed with a full order book and one big customer to keep happy. Of course there is an inner circle of friends and family that know they can depend on me above and beyond the official version of things.

I try to limit the amount of catalyst I use for for irritating, because it can drain energy I need for the good stuff.

I follow. It is best that nobody gets irritated ever. But on a rare occasion when it seems that someone is not going to be happy then I prefer it be him. A few 'customers' just don't seem to get it and will drain every last ounce of diplomacy and patience from me if I let them.

One of the management principles that we were taught is that you treat someone according to who they are. As a manager you have to allow yourself a range of behaviours so that you can use the most effective ones for the person in front of you.

'You can't remove an idea by reason that was not put there by reason to begin with.'

........ I asked what kind of business he was into; he told me just a hobbyist. Dude had a skid-mounted screw compressor, probably 30hp that barely made a whisper; had to be at least a $10k machine used. He just tinkered with machines; bought them broken, fix them, build cool new accessories, sometimes sell them, usually keep them.
I can relate to this person. Just haven't taken that step into the CNC world yet!

One of the management principles that we were taught is that you treat someone according to who they are. As a manager you have to allow yourself a range of behaviours so that you can use the most effective ones for the person in front of you.
I agree, but I think we've moved outside the hobbist boundries.

I used to be a professional (Toolmaker). But now I am just a hobby machinist who just fixes or makes stuff for use around the house or for friends. I do hoard any metal I find so I have some on hand most times for what I need.

'You can't remove an idea by reason that was not put there by reason to begin with.'

As I said; I really enjoy the work I do, my occupation, so I still view it in many ways as a hobby but there are those (neighbors, friends of friends or customers) who are not happy even if what they receive is free. The classis for me is the guy who wants the free piece of sheet metal in the scrap bin. I give it to him (now it's his) and then he wants me to shear it to size and form it for him. I tell him he needs to speak to the guy in the office (hey I'm just the shop guy) and when I meet him in the office he's upset. So I guess there's just a little sliver of catalyst left to be used as an irritant. :big grin:

If you use a $20.00 piece of material , And spend hours making a part you could buy for $2.00, You might be a hobbyist.

If you would rather me out in your shop, than at work, You might be a hobbyist

Last edited:
So to answer the original topic "whatz a hobbyist". First it is someone that spends more $$ on equipment and accessories to make/ fix stuff that can be had for way less $$. How come? Because...well it is fun.. and we like doing it.

I also think it is because some of us use our hobby as a charitable cause ... I repair old clocks for folks that have very little $$..so my time is free....But again it is fun.. I enjoy it.

And then you have really graduated to hobbyist when your wife loves all the things that you fix, and make for her, and doesn't question your recent purchase....while you encourage her purchase of a $2 ball of yarn for her crochet hobby.

David

Last edited:
Back