Whatz a hobbyist?

Tozguy

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
and are there sub categories of hobbyists?

If I admit that most of what I do with my lathe is make tools and accessories for the lathe that I might need one day, but that that day rarely seems to come, where do I fit in?

Is there a 'all dressed up with no place to go' category?

Sub categories? I hadn't thought of any. I think there's various levels of extremity. Guy I bought my CNC mill from, had a workshop 40x100' all air conditioned, with 6 different commercial (ex mazak, haas) CNC machines inside. I asked what kind of business he was into; he told me just a hobbyist. Dude had a skid-mounted screw compressor, probably 30hp that barely made a whisper; had to be at least a $10k machine used. He just tinkered with machines; bought them broken, fix them, build cool new accessories, sometimes sell them, usually keep them.

Some of us are collectors/hoarders. And yes we even admit it. I try to keep my hobbies to aminum. I only participat in metal work, black smithing, woodworking, fly tying, fishing, reading, gardening, old trucks/cars/jeeps. Too many things to be an expert therefore a hobbyist.

I am a hobbyists I do everything in the neighborhood
For everyone I know . Buy most of the metal. Spend weeks making thinks for other friends. And do it all for free no labor . Then ask someone to buy some tools saw blades , welding rods , end mills , or drill bits . And it makes them mad and they storm off mad becouse you ask them for just some of the experiences .
I Am a Hobbiest
This is the definition of a hobbiest

hobby: an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation:

I expect that the two requirements of a hobby are that one enjoys the activity and that it is not required as a source of livelihood. The broad category of hobby machinists will cover many facets. Some of us take pleasure in rescuing old machines and bringing them back to life. Some like to pimp out machines. Some just like collecting machines. For many of us, the machines are a means to an end, supporting other hobbies like rebuilding cars or motorcycles. Some like to make pretty things. I am not an artist. I can't draw a straight line without a straight edge and any attempt to depict a life form looks more like the work of a first grader. Designing things with my CAD system or machining things feeds my creative side in a way that generates huge satisfaction.

Personally, I really like the enabling power of my machines. Knowing that I can rebuild or create something, many times more functional than the original give great satisfaction. To that end, I can cast , forge, weld, and machine metals and have created one of a kind items that could not be obtained by any other way save finding another person with similar talents and paying for the work.

I take on projects for friends and neighbors as well. Most usually offer to pay for services. My comment to them is "If I had to charge for this, you couldn't afford it. Pass the good deed on to the next person." That conveys the idea to them that the service is something of value and the gift should be respected as such. If the project requires some out-of-pocket expenditures, I would tell the recipient up front that there would be some costs. If the recipient is too thick headed to realize that they should compensate you for those expenditures, the next time they come around, I would just be too busy to help them out.

For some individuals, the hobby can turn into a vocation. I know of machinists that started out that way and now have thriving businesses. For me, a hobby becoming a business ceases to be a hobby. I may still get satisfaction out of doing the work but other aspects of running a business come to play. With a hobby project, I can set it aside if I wish to. When it's a business, that is not usually the case. For a hobby, although household budgets come into play, there is not usually a need to justify the expenditure of tools and equipment in terms of payback. I can buy something just because it's "cool".

I am a hobbyists I do everything in the neighborhood
For everyone I know . Buy most of the metal. Spend weeks making thinks for other friends. And do it all for free no labor . Then ask someone to buy some tools saw blades , welding rods , end mills , or drill bits . And it makes them mad and they storm off mad becouse you ask them for just some of the experiences .
I Am a Hobbiest
This is the definition of a hobbiest
Unless you are doing projects for a family member or close friend, who you like, and the cost is low and the work is quick, it is quite understandable to ask for funds to cover your expendables and any new tooling required to do the job for them. Freeloaders will never understand that, and it is probably a good thing for everyone that they go off and sulk, and never ask again. I personally tell people that I am a strict hobbyist, do not take projects on for money, only for the pure joy of it, and will only accept doing things that interest me, which all my own project do, and are always backlogged. I let nothing get in the way of that. That said, I have machinist buddies, and we are always ready to help each other, whether it be the loan of a tool, the use of a machine they do not otherwise have access to, a hunk of material, help with picking up or moving machines, making them a part, or whatever. As long as that spirit stays reciprocal, it is a fun way to stay social in what can otherwise be a very lonely hobby.

And it makes them mad and they storm off mad becouse you ask them for just some of the experiences .
Nothing you did made them mad, it was what they wanted that didn't turn out as planned. i.e. "Expectations are premeditated resentments."

It's all about communication. If they came to you first and said they would pay for all the materials, consumables, supplies etc. they would get their answer. They had their own get out of jail **free** plan that didn't work and it's easier to be angry at you thna admit their fault. What I do for my hobby is also my employment, but I get the same thing from some customers. I tell them I can do their job for $45 an hour or other jobs for $90, so guess my choice. I enjoy my work and seldom think, "I just don't want to go in today." Of course there's plenty of; I gotta get out of here days. Only a very small percentage of my customers are difficult.

My point; Don't allow others to steal your thunder.

Last edited:
Back