Whatz a hobbyist?

In my view, a "Hobby Machinist" is:
  • someone that takes on a project just because it looks interesting
  • someone that can work on a project for a sliding scale (perhaps cheap/free to a friend/neighbour that needs it but cannot afford it otherwise, up to "fully funded" by people that can afford it and actually recognize the value added)
  • someone that takes on a project just to gain the experience of doing something they haven't done before
  • someone that has tools they cannot justify; but don't have to because it is not a business
  • someone that spends "spare" time reading about tools, materials and techniques just out of curiosity
  • someone that gets excited about discussing tools and methods of production
  • someone that sees a part and automatically thinks about the materials, the best way to make it and the tools involved
  • someone that, because of all the above, has a list of projects way longer than their expected lifetime

To try to sum it up in one line:
Someone that has an insatiable interest in how things work, and some luxury to explore that interest.

Anyone see their self in the above?
I sure do.

-brino

someone that, because of all the above, has a list of projects way longer than their expected lifetime
Along with my daily customer orders I have a drawer full of these, so when a customer walks in and wants me to sign a NDA on a project they're working on, I refuse. I have plenty of do's, re-do's, inventions and reinventions so I don't need their's.

I think the important part of being a hobbist is I receive all I need just from doing the task. There are no scales involved, nothing is measured to see who has the most or done the most. Yes, there are times when a business acquaintance calls (we hobbist trade back and forth) and asks; Do you have any 48 oz. copper, while I'm in the middle of a project and couldn't be busier, plus I need to get the forklift to get it off the top of the rack. It's easy to get frustrated but it's best set aside, because I probably needed the break.

Along with my daily customer orders I have a drawer full of these, so when a customer walks in and wants me to sign a NDA on a project they're working on, I refuse. I have plenty of do's, re-do's, inventions and reinventions so I don't need their's.

I think the important part of being a hobbist is I receive all I need just from doing the task. There are no scales involved, nothing is measured to see who has the most or done the most. Yes, there are times when a business acquaintance calls (we hobbist trade back and forth) and asks; Do you have any 48 oz. copper, while I'm in the middle of a project and couldn't be busier, plus I need to get the forklift to get it off the top of the rack. It's easy to get frustrated but it's best set aside, because I probably needed the break.

Russ, there are some people I would happily drop what I am doing right now to help them ASAP. There are others that I would enjoy irritating until they leave me alone.

Love that quote, Russ! How true...

It's been close to 20 years since I first read the quote and I don't remember the author, but the topic was communication. As it was written it provokes lots of comments, especially those being, *Shouldn't a person have expectations?* Yes, but the moment another person is included the quote best stated would be; "Unspoken expectations are premeditated resentments" and there's many directions this could go, but we cut to the chase when a neighbor you don't know, walks over and says; Bob, I have this project I want you to do for free. It saves a lot of time in the decision making process.

'all dressed up with no place to go'

Those would be either wannabee's (want to do machining, but don't have the equipment), or collectors (have the equipment, but don't want to use it).

Back