What's Happening in Chazz's Shop?

Caught the vid on YT.

One question I have is about nose weight on the spindle and bearing life.

Also, how does the chuck+backplate affect accell/decel of the spindle given the additional weight?

Certainly interesting as I have given many a thought to a 5" chuck before now, but always seem to come back to the question of the effects of it on the spindle bearings, accel/decel, nose weight and effects thereof et-al.

One last question, is that an 80mm flange or a 100mm flange on your mini lathe?

Caught the vid on YT.

One question I have is about nose weight on the spindle and bearing life.

Also, how does the chuck+backplate affect accell/decel of the spindle given the additional weight?

Certainly interesting as I have given many a thought to a 5" chuck before now, but always seem to come back to the question of the effects of it on the spindle bearings, accel/decel, nose weight and effects thereof et-al.

One last question, is that an 80mm flange or a 100mm flange on your mini lathe?
Can't answer how the bearings will be impacted, but LMS sells several 5" chucks mean for use on their 7x & 8-1/2x lathes, and their back plate is designed for 5" chucks on a 7x lathe. I'll report back on access/decel after I get it mounted.

My Mini-Lathe has an 80mm OD flange, which seems to be the standard. Here are the spec's for the back plate:

20240129 LMS 4770 Specs.jpeg
As I noted in the video, the back plate fit perfectly on the spindle, and the stated 3.8" chuck-side boss agrees well with the measured 3.818"Ø.

Can't answer how the bearings will be impacted, but LMS sells several 5" chucks mean for use on their 7x & 8-1/2x lathes, and their back plate is designed for 5" chucks on a 7x lathe. I'll report back on access/decel after I get it mounted.

My Mini-Lathe has an 80mm OD flange, which seems to be the standard. Here are the spec's for the back plate:

View attachment 476207
As I noted in the video, the back plate fit perfectly on the spindle, and the stated 3.8" chuck-side boss agrees well with the measured 3.818"Ø.

Actually quite interesting to be fair.

Currently running an 80mm Spindle SC3 7x16 whilst I rebuild my original lathe.
Don't like the extra nose weight of an adapter, but needs must at the moment given all my chucks are 4" / 100mm. The only 80mm chuck I have is the one that came with the SC3 and that is almost useless to me at the moment.

You forgot the brush! That worked wonders for me when I was doing the backplate for the 9x20. I will never do a backplate without placing the paint brush behind the cutter.

As mentioned on the walkaround your shop, I need to copy that vacuum setup. That is such a great idea.

You forgot the brush! That worked wonders for me when I was doing the backplate for the 9x20. I will never do a backplate without placing the paint brush behind the cutter.

As mentioned on the walkaround your shop, I need to copy that vacuum setup. That is such a great idea.
You mean under the tool to knock the chips off? I’ll remember this for the next time and if I decide to make this chuck adjustable. Thanks!

You mean under the tool to knock the chips off? I’ll remember this for the next time and if I decide to make this chuck adjustable. Thanks!
Here, take a look...

IMG_2463.jpeg

IMG_2464.jpeg

Back