What's Happening in Chazz's Shop?

Very nice shop space. Your organizing skills are over the moon.

I tried to be organized, everything in its place..... But periodic reorganizations became necessary due to some area/drawer/shelf becoming overly full.
That's a sure way to not be able to find what I'm looking for a few months down the road.

Wow, that is a lot of stuff in a rather small space. Very nicely labeled and organized though.
To be honest, I haven’t kept up with the labels: they were a shutdown project, so there have been 3+ years or additions & relocations.

Wow, that's a lot of storage! How do you find what you're looking for? My memory isn't that great any more and I know I have something and where I put it made perfect sense at the time but for the life of me I can't remember where.

I have thought about setting up a spread sheet to indicate the location sand mark all locations with a unique (and logical) i.d It would make good winter project.
The labels help, plus dedicating tool boxes to certain things.

I started a spreadsheet maybe 5 years ago, but tried to “map” the locations which didn’t work out.

Nice Shop! I just retired last year and I am still sorting out my tools from my service van. Trying to establish logical locations, but that often times fails. Thanks for posting.

Nice Shop! I just retired last year and I am still sorting out my tools from my service van. Trying to establish logical locations, but that often times fails. Thanks for posting.
Thanks, it evolved over about 20 years

Wow, that's a lot of storage! How do you find what you're looking for? My memory isn't that great any more and I know I have something and where I put it made perfect sense at the time but for the life of me I can't remember where.

I have thought about setting up a spread sheet to indicate the location sand mark all locations with a unique (and logical) i.d It would make good winter project.
I struggle with that also. I get so mad at myself sometimes. I now ask myself if "I were to look for this where would I look first". When I get the answer that's where I put it. We'll see how it goes.

I’m in awe of anyone who can organize that neatly in a relatively small space!

Constructive comments only – I'm not trying to compete with the pro's on YouTube, just wanted to give folks a better idea of the size of my shop:

You have a very nice shop. I try hard to organize where I can find things, I just don't seem to have the ability but you obviously do. My categories have categories and I ultimately just get lost. I see you have an electronics section, and I heard you say you don't use the bench much anymore. Hopefully you can find time to include it. The relationship between mechanical devices and electronics is a fundamental ya know. But it's all about the fun isn't it. I heard someone say recently "The heart is healthiest when the head and the hand work together". I think he was right.

One thing though. I saw a box labeled Hurricanes and Candles. Now I get why you would keep a supply of candles but......

You have a very nice shop.
Thanks!

One thing though. I saw a box labeled Hurricanes and Candles. Now I get why you would keep a supply of candles but......
That’s part of the “shared storage” space, Christmas decorations in this case, similar to this (but not as frilly):

IMG_6559.jpeg
And the candles have batteries.

Back