What will they think of next?

J-2534. All cars must meet that standard for reprogramming **emissions** related equipment. But that is only to install the current level of OE software. No modifications. Therefore it really doesn't apply to this thread.

For modifications you need different software. Most every enthusiast group has some level programming/tuning effort. For the more popular, there are commercial packages. My chosen niche, we wrote our own. Download the software, buy a $10 USB->K-line cable and you be a tuner.
I have an assortment.

I use tunercat II for gm obdII vehicles, moates apu1 for gm obdI, and have a Ford VCM II for the more recent Ford stuff.

I also have a Forscan unit with full license, which lets me reprogram more modern Ford stuff. Mostly turn things on/off in the asbuilt codes. Forscan also let me add things like lane keeping, adaptive cruise etc, just had to figure out the asbuilt codes changes that were needed. My 2016 F150 Lariat came with the 502a option package, but it didn’t have adaptive cruise or lane keeping. A few wiring harness changes and some hardware installations and I added them to my truck for less than what the option package would have cost. I’ve got the hardware to add parallel park, but haven’t gotten around to installing it. Might not ever as its not much use to me. Wish I had the 360 camera, but thats way more crazy with harnesses and hardware. I’d basically have to change the entire dash harness and I’m just not up for that.

For things like chrysler and BMW, I use a variety of bi directional scanners. My go to for quick and easy stuff is actually a Foxwell handheld scanner, which is a bit more capable than most bidirectionals. It limited compared to a full programmer, but allows me to at least run the BIT functions and reset certain maintenance settings.

Not to mention, sometimes I just want to plug in, change a couple small things and unplug. The Foxwell is great for that.

No need to “hop up” the wifes mini van or Mini Cooper, so just a scanner works fine for them. They’re fine “as is” and it “wife proofs“ them for her. Gawd love her, but she just not mechanical and has absolutely no interest in learning it. Vehicles might as well be fridges as far as she’s concerned…

Last edited:
That is not true. You can purchase the Service advisor 5.2 or what ever version its up to now from John Deere, the others would let you before the whole right to repair fight.
Thanks for information. This is news to me. The local John Deere dealer has never passed this on to its customers. On the other engines the only programming I could find was some bootlegged program out of China. Thanks again

I watched the video and yes the onboard electronics run the engine, you set up the table in the phone and can see what the timing is doing real time.

I like the electronic engine controls a lot. I have a 87 IROC camaro and after you took the time to learn the system it performed pretty well, but it's a pretty basic system compared to whats out there today. The LS2 in my trailblazer SS runs just like a regular suv, but you turn off traction control and nail it and it lights up all 4 tires. We took it to the airport yesterday and you really don't have a clue what it's capable of. That's the electronic engine management.

I also don't trust it either yet, but if I had something to put it on I'd be willing to give it a try. I could always go back to the stock ignition if it didn't work.

Yeah this bluetooth reprogram on the fly stuff has been around awhile now. I was daily driving a Volvo 240 from 2014-2018, mine was just stock, something to get to work with but there are a lot of people "hot rodding" these old Volvos, turbos, Ford and Chevy V8 swaps etc.
That is where I first heard of this, driver can have multiple programs preset for the chip in the engine, so they can be in fuel economy mode, hit a button on their phone for low end power mode to drag somebody at a light, high end power mode for other shenanigans, pass smog mode etc.

I never thought I'd see the words drag race and Volvo in the same sentence but there are some crazy Volvos out there. I didn't know a refrigerator box could move that fast. ;)

But, to my knowledge, you cannot program any controller or computer so a service call from Deere is still required if most any electrical item has been replaced.
You cant adjust/program the engine controller, this is true, it would put John Deere in a precarious position with the EPA so they don't allow access to start fooling with fuel rates, dpf and urea injection deletion and such. The days of modifying such things to improve durability and increase HP are over.

They are also not going to let you install software options that you didn't purchase or delete safety features just to get the machine to run(because farmers rarely put them back)

Last edited:
Back