What will they think of next?

There are certain things that I would rather not be controlled from my smart phone... the ignition on my car is one of them.

My hearing aids are controlled from my phone... this morning I had to shut down and restart my phone twice to get my hearing aids to connect. I'd hate to have to do that on the highway...

-Bear

Sounds good in theory, but a little new for me to trust it. :)

There are certain things that I would rather not be controlled from my smart phone... the ignition on my car is one of them.

My hearing aids are controlled from my phone... this morning I had to shut down and restart my phone twice to get my hearing aids to connect. I'd hate to have to do that on the highway...

-Bear

These sorts of things usually just let you adjust settings. The onboard electronics actually run the engine. The latency from BT is probably too high for direct control anyway.

Not that I think it's necessarily a great idea, but I can see some setups benefiting from it. I also wonder about the spark gap causing RFI issues with electronics right there in the housing. That's a lot of RF energy right next to a processor. Some gear can take it, but it tends to drive the price up a lot. I could see some bean counter saving a couple bucks on the unit that way causing issues for people. :)

It’s nuts how many things are being incorporated into smartphones. “Phone”LOL more like your whole life in a hand held computer.

I was just looking at a real time glucose monitor arm patch that BT links to your smartphone. Data logs and real time. Very cool so you can see how what you eat and activity levels affect your blood sugar. I’m not diabetic just like to eat healthy and avoid spiking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to find performance specs for what a "phone" is supposed to do. Ya know, like receiver sensitivity and transmitter power. Good luck trying to compare brands and models. My Samsung 5G phone can't connect in areas that my old LG 4G LTE did.

-Bear

It's not controlled by a phone as in you need the phone running to have spark. It's programmed by an app on the phone. It's no different than setting up the afore mentioned Holley Sniper except you do it via an app on a phone rather than having to drag out the laptop.

I watched the video and yes the onboard electronics run the engine, you set up the table in the phone and can see what the timing is doing real time.

I like the electronic engine controls a lot. I have a 87 IROC camaro and after you took the time to learn the system it performed pretty well, but it's a pretty basic system compared to whats out there today. The LS2 in my trailblazer SS runs just like a regular suv, but you turn off traction control and nail it and it lights up all 4 tires. We took it to the airport yesterday and you really don't have a clue what it's capable of. That's the electronic engine management.

I also don't trust it either yet, but if I had something to put it on I'd be willing to give it a try. I could always go back to the stock ignition if it didn't work.

Back in the early 1980's, I had a little Datsun 1300 pickup. Put in an electronic ignition that was a kit. This one used the regular points in the engine as trigger. Worked great. No matter what the weather was, the truck would start immediately. The ammeter showed that the ignition used a lot less current. I tried to mount it so that there was always an air flow. Electronics and heat just don't get along. After several years, it finally gave up the ghost. No problem, there was a switch on the side of the unit. When you flip it. It would go back to standard ignition, and you are on your way.

Back