What will they think of next?

We had a 67 ford with 300 ci 6.

Added a drop in system in 77 that just replaced the points and gap set to 0.008, magnetic pickup of the passing lobes.

Little box near the coil.

Sometimes if things were in just the right place the unit would fire when key turned on and engine would start without starter.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

If you want a nightmare just look at electronics on farm equipment. Just to read a code on a John Deere tractor costs 300 dollars. There are no code readers like what is on a car. Every manufacturer has their own system that they won’t release. Broken wires on a hydraulic control system just cost about 2 grand to replace a simple controller. The less I see of electronics the better I like it. Reliably goes down the tubes. Mice and rats just love wires. Just think of what water and mud can do to a computer. What do you do when the manufacturer no longer supports the electronics? Talk about planned obsolescence on an expensive piece of equipment.
That is not true. You can purchase the Service advisor 5.2 or what ever version its up to now from John Deere, the others would let you before the whole right to repair fight.

Last edited:
That is not true. You can purchase the Service advisor 5.2 or what ever version its up to now from John Deere, the others would let you before the whole right to repair fight.
But, to my knowledge, you cannot program any controller or computer so a service call from Deere is still required if most any electrical item has been replaced.

But, to my knowledge, you cannot program any controller or computer so a service call from Deere is still required if most any electrical item has been replaced.
Meh, basically the same with any road vehicle.

Code scanners are inexpensive, but you can only read (and, for most boxes, clear) trouble codes. In rare cases, you may be able to reset things like oil monitors or run certain built in tests.

Now if you want to program/modify/calibrate them, that gets really expensive, really fast.

IIRC, you have a law in the states that makes it mandatory for oem’s to provide reprogramming software/hardware so that smaller shops can buy the equipment to repair efi vehicles. But, nothing says they have to make it cheap, so they don’t. I’ve got lots of software to reprogram obd and obdII vehicles, but you really don’t want to know how much I have tied up in it. On the order of thousands, not hundreds. Building EFI vehicles is definitely a “pay to play” sport and money just gets you in the door. Then you have to invest hundreds (if not thousands) of hours to learn how to modify it. I love efi, I hate working on it. All my buds are always pushing me to drop efi on my early 80’s mustang 302, but I’m just fine with the holley double thank-you-very-much!

;)

I’m not sure how that ruling applies to off road vehicles (ie: tractors) though…..they probably fall into a different category and thus, different rules.

Last edited:
J-2534. All cars must meet that standard for reprogramming **emissions** related equipment. But that is only to install the current level of OE software. No modifications. Therefore it really doesn't apply to this thread.

For modifications you need different software. Most every enthusiast group has some level programming/tuning effort. For the more popular, there are commercial packages. My chosen niche, we wrote our own. Download the software, buy a $10 USB->K-line cable and you be a tuner.

Back