What will they think of next?

If you want a nightmare just look at electronics on farm equipment. Just to read a code on a John Deere tractor costs 300 dollars. There are no code readers like what is on a car. Every manufacturer has their own system that they won’t release. Broken wires on a hydraulic control system just cost about 2 grand to replace a simple controller. The less I see of electronics the better I like it. Reliably goes down the tubes. Mice and rats just love wires. Just think of what water and mud can do to a computer. What do you do when the manufacturer no longer supports the electronics? Talk about planned obsolescence on an expensive piece of equipment.

And here I've just gotten to accept GM's HEI ignition...
Seriously, "smart phones" are more trouble than they're worth to me. I like using my mind to figure things out. I'm limited to how much digital technology I can take. It numbs my brain.
I will someday be a drooling doddering old fool who needs an adult diaper and gets lost in my own house. I intend to fight that every inch of the way. Until then I am a proud Luddite.

The whole point of electronic ignition is to eliminate the distributor! Fools! Coil per plug with NO wire in between is the only acceptable programmable ignition. Distributors have play in the timing set, the cam gear, the gap and overlap of the rotor, and those wires (oh the humanity!).

This is like a solar-powered flashlight or a screen door for a submarine in the ranking of brilliant ideas. Go direct fire or go home.

Not a bad idea. Lots of early 60’s cars and trucks running around on points or solid state boxes.

Drop in electronic ignition has been around for quite a long time for these old cars, this just gives you a drop in solution to do away with points, yet maintains the “classic“ looks. Pertronix is another drop in solution, just without the ability to alter the ignition parameters.

Being able to set a rev limiter or kill the ignition as a theft deterrent is a big plus. Same with being able to fine tune the ignition advance.

Your smart phone is just the interface, just like a code scanner, oem programming interface or laptop with the appropriate interface and software.

Back