What size dovetail cutter? Mitutoyo test indicator

For your tap-based cutter, add a tapered relief on the back side (LH edge in your photos). The bit you ground would cut a shallow dovetail, but anything too deep and the back side with make the wall vertical again.
It’s too big of a swing. I have to start over.
Thanks though.

It took me a long time to get a grip on grinding d-bit style cutters. The various angles etc can be a challenge to visualize. The SOE manaul is he best I have found for describing the process. You will get there.

It took me a long time to get a grip on grinding d-bit style cutters. The various angles etc can be a challenge to visualize. The SOE manaul is he best I have found for describing the process. You will get there.
The illustrations make it easier to understand but to execute the grinding/milling op is a beeatch.

I may have bit off more than I can chew

If I get one right I have to adjust here and then more there until it’s scrap.
I feel your pain, been there done that.
Use a vacuum to collect carbide dust as you grind, that stuff is not good for you.
I mounted a second light so I can see two sides at once.
I've got used (dull) carbide, plastic laminate trim bits that I use to make profiled D bits.

Last edited:
Indeed. Active smartypants comes with a "told ya so."
Excellent!
All kidding aside, your input is spot on and invaluable. You have consistently confirmed what I do know and enlightened me on what I dont know. Never hold back on any of my post, even if you simply type "BULL$hit!", I will know to go back and check my work.

I finally realized what this cutter needs to do.
It has to have a sharp flat bottom that comes to a point.
The trick I learned is to cut the depth and the width of the channel, then come in and just kiss the angle until I have a point On both sides.
I’m making a form tool to follow the darn tool clamp.
I actually made it work. I’ll practice some more tomorrow then I may have the huevos to make the cut in the actual part.
If I charged by the hour, my rate would be $5 an hour to keep the price under $500 :) :)

I’d show you the other side of the tool but, I don’t want to.

Attachments

• 9F6188FA-131A-4D6B-B94D-73A1632C38CC.jpeg
    9F6188FA-131A-4D6B-B94D-73A1632C38CC.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 63072E88-838D-4B94-A6A4-523DDABC235B.jpeg
    63072E88-838D-4B94-A6A4-523DDABC235B.jpeg
    237.2 KB · Views: 20
I finally realized what this cutter needs to do.
It has to have a sharp flat bottom that comes to a point.
The trick I learned is to cut the depth and the width of the channel, then come in and just kiss the angle until I have a point On both sides.
I’m making a form tool to follow the darn tool clamp.
I actually made it work. I’ll practice some more tomorrow then I may have the huevos to make the cut in the actual part.
If I charged by the hour, my rate would be $5 an hour to keep the price under $500 :) :)

I’d show you the other side of the tool but, I don’t want to.

The front of the tool is all that matters. The back can be ugly as sin. Glad you got it sorted. With what you learned on this cutter. You are well in your way to making any type you need. Great job!

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back