What size dovetail cutter? Mitutoyo test indicator

Well, it doesn’t.
I am surprised actually. I gave it more relief on the opposite side of the dovetail.
It cuts a vertical wall. I was feeding .005” at a time, chips were coming off but no angled cut!
Back to the drawing board.
It has to be the back side cutting the vertical wall. I’ll give more relief.

I knew this when you posted your cutter photo, but I feel like you are one who learns by doing, so I kept my mouth shut. Now that you know what you missed on the cutter, here are some pics and a copy of the Deckel manual, which goes into detail on how to make working cutters.
dbit5b.jpg37722-34bc286b32a2a1113f14bc605eac6823.jpg
images.pngdbit6.jpg

Attachments

• Deckel-Manual.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 20
The SOE manual is useable on all of the d-bit grinders and helpfully includes more than 'the usual' profiles: You will notice that it is not unusual to grind on the inside of the wheel, which requires decent quality as some wheels are not trued at all on the inside periphery.

Attachments

• DECKEL SOE manual.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
For your tap-based cutter, add a tapered relief on the back side (LH edge in your photos). The bit you ground would cut a shallow dovetail, but anything too deep and the back side with make the wall vertical again.

You are welcome to let me know in advance if you see me making a fool of myself :)
Okay, next time. It's easy for me to sit behind the keyboard and call it as I see it, passing judgement on whatever tickles me bum. But there is so much typing to do to explain the three critical reliefs on the tool that sometimes it helps to see a demonstration. It worked! Now you can read the Deckel book with complete interest, instead of doing it by grudge because a smartypants guy on the internet criticized your grind. I don't want you to just grind better tools, I want to foster your growth into a whole better person!

Okay, next time. It's easy for me to sit behind the keyboard and call it as I see it, passing judgement on whatever tickles me bum. But there is so much typing to do to explain the three critical reliefs on the tool that sometimes it helps to see a demonstration. It worked! Now you can read the Deckel book with complete interest, instead of doing it by grudge because a smartypants guy on the internet criticized your grind. I don't want you to just grind better tools, I want to foster your growth into a whole better person!
Passive Smartypants?

I’m really struggling.
I tried grinding two more cutters today. Not worth a darn.
Back to the task tomorrow. I think I’ll try the mill. I have been grinding all the angles because I hardened the W1 tool. Before I treat the cutter maybe I can do a better job with the mill?
I know the angles but I’m spit balling on depth dimensions.
If I get one right I have to adjust here and then more there until it’s scrap.
You aren’t planning a trip to rainy Northern Ca are you? :)

Last edited:
Back