What size dovetail cutter? Mitutoyo test indicator

That looks great! Can't wait to see how it cuts
Well, it doesn’t.
I am surprised actually. I gave it more relief on the opposite side of the dovetail.
It cuts a vertical wall. I was feeding .005” at a time, chips were coming off but no angled cut!
Back to the drawing board.
It has to be the back side cutting the vertical wall. I’ll give more relief.

Attachments

• 7AF0F62D-5DD3-4BD5-A475-105086A8FA8B.jpeg
    7AF0F62D-5DD3-4BD5-A475-105086A8FA8B.jpeg
    277.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Well, it doesn’t.
I am surprised actually. I gave it more relief on the opposite side of the dovetail.
It cuts a vertical wall. I was feeding .005” at a time, chips were coming off but no angled cut!
I think I see it now. Maybe take more off the back side. It looks as if the back of your grind is as far from center as the angled grind?

Well, it doesn’t.

Yes you need to spin the cut around the entire diameter then add relief.
735228a038f8cafa90815725531f0851.jpg

38f09c08464fd8ae520f3eeaaf5e8ae2.jpg

Kind of like this.

Cutting oil is my blood.

How did you grind that?
Well done

That was made on a combination of a surface grinder by grinding the 30 on the wheel then dialing down to create the smaller shaft and back 30 deg. Then setting up and cutting the front 30 degree. When the cutter was to desired shape. I moved to a Deckel cutter grinder and cut the back angle relief. I then took to a pedestal grinder and cleared out the remaining material. I made this maybe 35 years ago. Still going. I no longer have access to any of that type of equipment. I now have to purchase custom cutters.

I made hundreds of these type cutters when I was making Plastic injection molds. All on manual machines. So custom cutter making was a must.

You can make these with only a Deckel grinder no problem. Just takes a bit longer.

Cutting oil is my blood.

That was made on a combination of a surface grinder by grinding the 30 on the wheel then dialing down to create the smaller shaft and back 30 deg. Then setting up and cutting the front 30 degree. When the cutter was to desired shape. I moved to a Deckel cutter grinder and cut the back angle relief. I then took to a pedestal grinder and cleared out the remaining material. I made this maybe 35 years ago. Still going. I no longer have access to any of that type of equipment. I now have to purchase custom cutters.

I made hundreds of these type cutters when I was making Plastic injection molds. All on manual machines. So custom cutter making was a must.

You can make these with only a Deckel grinder no problem. Just takes a bit longer.

Cutting oil is my blood.
I have a very nice surface grinder and a generic d- bit grinder. Unfortunately, my machines are more talented than I.
I’ll digest what you suggested and make an attempt to grind another.
Sure wish you lived closer :) Maybe you could help me set this up.
I hope you aren’t in a flood prone area. It seems much of California is under water.
We go from one extreme to the other.

I have a very nice surface grinder and a generic d- bit grinder. Unfortunately, my machines are more talented than I.
I’ll digest what you suggested and make an attempt to grind another.
Sure wish you lived closer :) Maybe you could help me set this up.
I hope you aren’t in a flood prone area. It seems much of California is under water.
We go from one extreme to the other.

Thanks. It would be fun to make more cutters. That is a tool I need to look for. A cutter grinder.

I am in the Valley area in Los Angeles. No flooding or mud slides here fortunately. I would not want to be in the mountain area right now. Things are getting pretty saturated now. The next storms moving in may put those areas over the edge. Mud slides are more of a concern in Los Angeles area. Flood control is good. Some flash flooding but nothing like in the Sacramento delta area. That is some flooding.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Thanks. It would be fun to make more cutters. That is a tool I need to look for. A cutter grinder.

I am in the Valley area in Los Angeles. No flooding or mud slides here fortunately. I would not want to be in the mountain area right now. Things are getting pretty saturated now. The next storms moving in may put those areas over the edge. Mud slides are more of a concern in Los Angeles area. Flood control is good. Some flash flooding but nothing like in the Sacramento delta area. That is some flooding.

Cutting oil is my blood.
Glad you aren’t homeless and swimming.
I spent a couple hours grinding a new cutter to find the swing diameter was too large. Lesson learned.
The rotation was wrong too but that’s workable.
Tomorrow I’ll grind the diameter first then shape it.
I have some W1 rod that I’ll heat treat after shaping. I’ll get it in the end.

Back