What Kind of Fire Extingisher do you have in your Shop

Do you have Dry Chemical Fire extingishers in your shop?

• Yes

Votes: 67 91.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don't know what I have or I have none

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
I have a couple of ABC dry chems. Thankfully, I've never needed them. I've had to handle a couple of small fires in the past and the extinguisher types that I have work (in a fire, I don't care about what's used to extinguish it, just how fast it gets extinguished).

My grandfather was very strict about fire extinguishers in the shop, there is one in the barn and a few in the basement. Never needed any :)

OK, here's a question: What about the First Alert "Tundra" aerosol fire extinguisher?

I bought a couple cans at Walmart several years ago, and have one in my camp trailer and one in my kitchen. I was looking at the label, and it appears to be OK for electrical fires, as well as grease fires and fabric/wood. But it's not rated with any of the ABCs. The active ingredient is potassium lactate (water solution???). If it is a solution, I kinda have to wonder just how safe it is on electrical fires.

Does anybody have any insight/experience with this product?

I have a 2 gallon pressurized water extinguisher and a 10lb dry chem by one door, also close to my oil burner room, a couple 2.5 lb abc extinguishers in the shop(shop is 1/2 the garage), and a couple 5lb abc extinguishers by the Garage door. I check them every year, and have been fortunate not to have to discharge an abc extinguisher in the shop, they make a god awful mess and will ruin electronics due to how corrosive they are. I have had to knock down several small fires with an abc extinguisher, you absolutely must aim at the base of the flame, and fan it back and forth, if you don't it will re-ignite..... been there.... All my extinguishers are placed to I can get the hell out if I can't knock it down quickly... AFTER I call the Fire Department, (here they don't mind responding and finding that you have already put the fire out, it's much better than having to put out a working fire in a shop or home.)

I keep one 5 pound ABC Dry Chem by the door and a garden hose right outside. I get the used ABC throw-aways from my work for free and I just exchange them now and again, but I really should purchase a new CO2. I do all of my welding/cutting "Hot Work" outside of the garage in the open air for safety.

I use all CO2 plus water and compressed air, which sounds ridicu;ous, but it will blow out most internal box section fires in car sills and the like in an instant. If I am welding a car, the extinguisher is next to me with the pin already out! In the seventies I had a car on its side on a carrolla, and was oxy/acet welding a sill (rocker panel in US? the bit under the doors!) A large blob of hot metal slag fell down the underside of the car, neatly severing the fuel line ( which I thought was metal) Fuel is now spewing out onto a blazing and widening pool on the floor, and my companion was halfway down the yard screaming at me to get out! luckily I had followed my rule, and the CO2 ex was ready beside me. A quick blast and it was out, stuck my thumb over the fuel line and survived to weld another day! If I had been in a pit, I could have died, but of course, the slag would not have damaged the fuel line either! My rule today is that the tank comes off, or I don't weld.
Phil
UK

Two 10 pound ABC type. One in the house under kitchen sink. Other in the shop. Fire rated sheetrock and fiberglass insulation. Plus a big bag of cheap cat litter that would work if it was a metal fire. I also have a garden style water faucet and hose inside the first bay of my three bay garage/shop. Would easily reach to the shop side if needed. Need to buy a flammable goods cabinet. The fire department is 5 minutes down the road.

I have a 10lb ABC Dry Chem right outside the shop door. (small shop with almost no wall space). Based on this thread I just added a 10lb CO2 that is now readily accessible in the middle of the shop. I also have a metal "oily rag" trash can with lid that all my waste rags and paper towels go into.

Thanks for this tread !

If I am welding a car, the extinguisher is next to me with the pin already out! In the seventies I had a car on its side on a carrolla, and was oxy/acet welding a sill (rocker panel in US? the bit under the doors!) A large blob of hot metal slag fell down the underside of the car, neatly severing the fuel line ( which I thought was metal) Fuel is now spewing out onto a blazing and widening pool on the floor, and my companion was halfway down the yard screaming at me to get out! luckily I had followed my rule, and the CO2 ex was ready beside me. A quick blast and it was out, stuck my thumb over the fuel line and survived to weld another day! If I had been in a pit, I could have died, but of course, the slag would not have damaged the fuel line either! My rule today is that the tank comes off, or I don't weld.
Phil
UK

I really cringed when I read that story. Yes, a combination of good planning and quick response saved you from what could have been a real disaster. But good fortune must have also played a part. Congratulations to you, and continue to stay safe!

I purchased one of the Kidde Commercial models at Home Depot. It was about $60 or so. I think it's a small price to pay for a bit of security.

Back