What Kind of Fire Extingisher do you have in your Shop

Do you have Dry Chemical Fire extingishers in your shop?

• Yes

Votes: 67 91.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don't know what I have or I have none

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
I now am the proud owner of a 20 lb CO2 extinguisher, which will be the first one used in the event of any fire. I am still cleaning up that Damn powder 8^(

Randy

We had a truck fire in the shop, all the bay doors were open at the time (summer). We used 2 10# dry units and saved the truck. Now for the clean up. There was powder ALL OVER THE PLACE, from the truck to the frt office to everywhere! Some of the stuff use can be corrosive as well. That is why the racer boys hate it when the fire protection services use one on the engine especially.
The after effects were refill the two used units and replace the third one that was thrown out. The third one had a thumb lock AND a pull pin, the user was not able to make it work due to it being different than all the rest in the building. When we trained on the fire stuff we were not aware of the differences and this was brought up at the next safety meeting.
So remember that just because we have the stuff there, we also need to know how to use it properly and when to run as well.
Pierre

It's good to hear you didn't get hurt, and that the fire didn't get out of control.
I had the contents of a 5 lb dry chem go off in a car during a race. My windows don't roll down, it wouldn't have mattered if they did. It was all I could do to get her stopped in my lane and off the wall. Breathing was impossible. I didn't get a chance to take a deep breath before I realized what was going on.
I found powder everywhere. switches needed to be replaced, all my gauges were destroyed. It cost me several hundred dollars, and hours of work. I still find the crap a few years later. I can't imagine what popping a dry chem extinguisher would do to a shop, especially one full of cnc machines. I made a better mount, and have Cold Fire in the car. I have foam in the shop.

Thumblock? That's prehistoric. All FE operation for at least 30 yrs is based on PPPS (pull,point,press and shoot). Pull the pin and squeeze in English. Dry powder is a pain for clean up.

Yeap, that is why we got rid of it. Shop has been there since 1929, lots of prehistoric stuff in the basement. Lol
Pierre

Just remember that CO2 displaces oxygen and could cause the operator to have oxygenation problems as a result of this displaced Oxygen - As a volunteer Paramedic and firefighter, I have witnessed this 1st hand - A person had a fire on a table saw in a closed shop - upon arrival, we not only had to secure the fire, but the person himself - if it wasn't for the fire department responding, the shop owner could have died because of the CO2 displacing the available Oxygen in the enclosed structure - use CO2 or sand, but whatever you choose, be save - you can always replace material things, but you cannot restore life no matter how much you try! :thinking:

I have four 5 lb ABC dry chemical fire extinguishers in my garage. I try to be very careful, and thank goodness have never had to use them. I never stick weld in the garage, and rarely MIG weld. If I'm using MIG, it's usually out on the driveway. I do TIG weld in the garage regularly because there are no sparks to fly around. Plasma cut out on the driveway *only*.

GG

I have dry powder which I don't like but if I need to use them I will its better then a fire I've been meaning to get co2 when I get a chance. I also have a halon automatic tank that will go off by itself if there is a fire. I like knowing its there but that's only going to go off if I'm not there or the fires out of control so by that point I don't know if it would help anything.

CO2 bottles, and a spray bottle with water. The most important thing is to kill a fire directly, while it is easy...
There is also a little Halon unit.

I have one ABC Dry-Chem style and one CO2. Never have needed either...:phew:

Last resort, although it's the only thing I've ever needed to use: 5 gal pail of dry sand. :shush:

Matt

Back