What Kind of Fire Extingisher do you have in your Shop

Do you have Dry Chemical Fire extingishers in your shop?

• Yes

Votes: 67 91.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don't know what I have or I have none

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
BMW rider hit it right on the spot, there are more than one type of Dry Chemical Fire extinguisher and you need to have the right one for the application.

We had the Fire Safety guy come out and recommend what extinguishers we needed, and ended up getting a couple extra. He figured that we needed at least two 5 Lbs to be within "code"

5 lbs ABC at the front door and the back door and a 10 lbs ABC at either end of the shop, which is half way and beside the large sliding door. Plus a 2 lbs ABC for general spotting.

Had a 2 Lb ABC and a 2 Lbs BC in the shop before and a 2 Lbs ABC hanging by the furnace that were 1973 to 1979 vintage and they were not certifiable, even though, knock on wood, we have never needed them.

Also note that these fire extinguishers are not rated for metal fires, Magnesium, etc and that special class D extinguishers are required if there is a chance that this type of fire will be encountered.

Walter

Ext. locations (by code) are also determined on distance travel. Bigger shops get more units to place between user/fire/and exit.

what the insurance people said they required. two dry ones, 2 buckets of sand (for welding). we also have a hosepipe with quick connects ready fitted which will reach all of the shop. but mainly we have insurance, if the worst happens it will be bad, but not the end of the world.

In addition to three, 10lb ABC-type extinguishers I have a smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector. The space is a modified 2.5 car attached garage. Gotta watch out for CO this time of year when the propane and kerosene heaters go into high-gear. I also have two vents that can be adjusted and only do TIG welding indoors in the winter and do the OA and ARC outside.

I never put much thought into a fire extinguisher. Im gonna pick one up a Lowe's tomorrow after church.

I have one five pound dry and two small halon ones.
But this is in a small garage.

I have got one dry extinguisher by each door and an old pressurized water type by the bench just for
the reason you mentioned, the water type is handy for the paper, small grease fire when cutting off a bearing on old equipment outside shop door

I've 2 CO2 cylinders at the exit points plus two dry powder cylinders and outside in the garder a hose that's within 10 feet. I think one of the key points to note here, is that most of us dont get any practice in putting out fires. Small extinguishers do not last long at all before they expire, there is a knack or a technique if you like. waste a couple of extinguishers putting out a garden fire, At least you'll know how long you've got. In my view the small extinguishers market for home worksops are only for knocking down a fire that has just started Once a fire has started and has got hold, forget the extinguishers call the fire brigade your safety is far more important.
And water in a workshop, makes me worried with a real chance of a fatal shock from the mains electricity, 240 volts in the UK. firefighters have rubber safety boots have you?
(Experience: I used to be an fireman at a petrochemical plant).

I kinda have a differnt take on Extingishers------- mine are not at the exits the are located at key points in the shop. Personally a fire extingisher is to save my bacon heck with the shop. If I can make it to the door---- life goes on. I heat my shop with wood---- so I have a couple gallon milk jugs of water handy.
The real key to this------------- have a plan and don't get caught wishing you had givin this some thought.----- Oh I did have my 10 year old extingishers refilled last week.

Update---after reading these post-------- I am adding a 2 1/2 gallon bucket of sand to the list of fire fighting tools

And water in a workshop, makes me worried with a real chance of a fatal shock from the mains electricity, 240 volts in the UK. firefighters have rubber safety boots have you?

Same here Grahmmon, worked for fire and we used rubber boots. The boots were never considered electrical protection. I remember gloves used for electrical safety and they were tested regularly. At some point management took away the gloves and told us to rely on power company emergency response only. Fine for the big urban areas anyway. Rubber boots got better roof traction than current leather boots now used. Leather is lighter, making it easier to shoulder the heavy equipment.

Power company guys were most impressive. Cutting and moving 17,000 volt lines with gloves and a hot stick. They told us that type of voltage would go right through the worker and blow the aerial boom tires to hit ground. The worker doesn't even make a good fuse.

It pays to respect electricity.

Back