• Grinding machine

• Blaster or tumbler

• Welder or plasma machine

• CNC

• 3D printer, laser engraver, or other micro CNC

• Wachuko's choice

• Shaper!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Says the guy who just built a new PC w/ 10Gb Ethernet, and built an Arduino based vent controller. Me thinks he protests too much. ;)

I have a Touch-DRO waiting to be installed on my bigger lathe. Which is really waiting for the crane to be done to tackle a few other things on that lathe too. Which is waiting for among other things, me to design and build the digital controller for the bridge motor and remote. Oh, and a VMC to rebuild electronically is, as @dkemppai knows, in the queue. So I have no room to talk. (But this is the Internet)

I have already started thinking about budget for a DroPro for that lathe to match what I have on the daily-use lathe. There is a lot to be said for consistency, especially as I get older. The T-DRO may go on the surface grinder if I ever get around to working on that, or perhaps on the 1946 K&T mill?

I'd be interested in hearing about the CNC upgrade when you get around to that.
Nice pc. The 10Gb Ethernet is used for the machinery? Or an sdr/oscilloscope?

I am keeping my parents home, it’s pain sometime with their old age issues. But for the love of good cannot think my life without them in it. Even if it means getting a lot of sick days just to stay home for their panic attacks.

My dad told me when I was a young boy a story.

A goat herder got tired of his old man and his issues from being old “bickering etc etc” and after thinking it through the fights, words and general displeasure living with his old man decided to carry him into the woods and let nature take it course. He got him on his shoulder and first light in the morning started going up in the mountain. After a while he hears his old man crying silently. He hardens his will and says to himself I had enough I need to live my own life and let him go and have his life in the forest and let it be what it will be. So he continues carrying his old man on his shoulders and up the mountain he goes. After a good travel up the mountain he feels it’s far enough that his old man could not make it back to the village, so he slows down and starts looking for a place to lay him down. At this point the old man starts crying out loud on top of his shoulders. The son gets emotional enough to ask him what’s the issue. The old man tries to get hold of himself and after stopping the crying tell him. Please for the love of god take me a bit further, here is when I left my old man. Realizing the monstrosity of his dad actions on many many levels, he decides to be better and not become his old man with tons of regrets. So his goes down the mountain to the village and closes one eye to not see to much into the fights and cover one ear deaf to not hear to much during bickering and small word fights with his old man. Hoping to have a happier life then his old man had.

This is the English translation the best I could make.
I have see kids that think their parents things, their inheritance, is theirs and I do not understand that mind set. My father is still alive, he is 84 and still fairly sharp although a bit forgetful at times. If my father has to die for me to get something then I do not want it! I know it will happen sooner or later but I am in no hurry, happiness these days is having 1 more conversation with my mother and father....

I have see kids that think their parents things, their inheritance, is theirs and I do not understand that mind set. My father is still alive, he is 84 and still fairly sharp although a bit forgetful at times. If my father has to die for me to get something then I do not want it! I know it will happen sooner or later but I am in no hurry, happiness these days is having 1 more conversation with my mother and father....
So true. I was away from them for a few years” not my choice, but for the greater good we all sacrificed a bit”. There where times I would wake up in the middle of the night from sleep and call them. Those where long nights. Now I have them in the house, we have bickering and word fights and normal issues for day to day issues on how to do things better/cheaper and worring about daily stuff, but I love them.

I am keeping my parents home, it’s pain sometime with their old age issues. But for the love of good cannot think my life without them in it. Even if it means getting a lot of sick days just to stay home for their panic attacks.

My dad told me when I was a young boy a story.

A goat herder got tired of his old man and his issues from being old “bickering etc etc” and after thinking it through the fights, words and general displeasure living with his old man decided to carry him into the woods and let nature take it course. He got him on his shoulder and first light in the morning started going up in the mountain. After a while he hears his old man crying silently. He hardens his will and says to himself I had enough I need to live my own life and let him go and have his life in the forest and let it be what it will be. So he continues carrying his old man on his shoulders and up the mountain he goes. After a good travel up the mountain he feels it’s far enough that his old man could not make it back to the village, so he slows down and starts looking for a place to lay him down. At this point the old man starts crying out loud on top of his shoulders. The son gets emotional enough to ask him what’s the issue. The old man tries to get hold of himself and after stopping the crying tell him. Please for the love of god take me a bit further, here is when I left my old man. Realizing the monstrosity of his dad actions on many many levels, he decides to be better and not become his old man with tons of regrets. So his goes down the mountain to the village and closes one eye to not see to much into the fights and cover one ear deaf to not hear to much during bickering and small word fights with his old man. Hoping to have a happier life then his old man had.

This is the English translation the best I could make.
Will you be keeping them home in the US?

Every family has their own challenges. I've been taking care of my mom, in my home since 2001. Our father died in the house I'm living in now, I bought it from the estate which is a whole different story.

Still trying to get my mom home after surgery, I won't go into what that will take here but I can say it's not something I can do by myself.

The only other thing I have to add here, is if you are in the US and over 65 think carefully before you select a "Medicare Advantage" insurance plan. The "advantage" may not be for you.

Sorry for getting off topic, we can start another thread to discuss aging and caregiving issues if anyone likes.

John

Will you be keeping them home in the US?

Every family has their own challenges. I've been taking care of my mom, in my home since 2001. Our father died in the house I'm living in now, I bought it from the estate which is a whole different story.

Still trying to get my mom home after surgery, I won't go into what that will take here but I can say it's not something I can do by myself.

The only other thing I have to add here, is if you are in the US and over 65 think carefully before you select a "Medicare Advantage" insurance plan. The "advantage" may not be for you.

Sorry for getting off topic, we can start another thread to discuss aging and caregiving issues if anyone likes.

John
Yes, thank god they are ok, so far so good.

Me in comparison, my wife says we are never moving, she doesn’t want to even think of moving my wood and machine shop lol.
Same here. And the prices everywhere are prohibitive lately. We paid off our house years ago, taxes are high, but not outrageous, and now that we are old enough and not making enough money, we qualify for a senior locked in property rate (what that means .. don't ask since you have to apply each year) But we've had friends that have tried moving the NC, Delaware, Florida. They said between the price of the home, the taxes, it's not much of a bargain... My wife told me that years ago when she investigated. I do have a friend that just moved to FL, she closed a week or 2 ago. She can't get insurance, paid an arm and a leg, just to be near her kids who both live down there now. I think I'll stay here.. Far enough from everything, but close enough also.

Says the guy who just built a new PC w/ 10Gb Ethernet, and built an Arduino based vent controller. Me thinks he protests too much. ;)
I'd be interested in hearing about the CNC upgrade when you get around to that.
OK, OK. LOL.

PC's are a necessary evil. And lightning suggests not letting them share electrons, so fiber it is! 10G was just an added bonus... lol.

The Arduino thermostat won't update itself, ever. That's really were I draw the line, anything that can automatically update. I'll break my own stuff, thank you very much! And don't get me started about Bluetooth enabled bathroom fans or toasters! Or touch screen welders...

The CNC upgrade is going to be painful. Built the router with Mach3 and a USB Smooth Stepper. Huge mistake, I hate that hardware/software combo. Since then I found 3 Flashcut controllers on ebay. One without servos/drives, so eventually I'll use that to replace Mach3. Mostly it's going to be making cables/adapters, but really not looking foreword to that job. I should just do it, as that's one of the reasons I don't use that router much.

Sorry to hear you're giving up your shop but it's probably the responsible thing to do. I used to be in Mesa but that was more than a decade ago, if you do your sale in winter you may get some of the northerners willing to make a trip out of it.

I just unpacked and did the initial setup of a Bambu X1 at work, we haven't printed anything yet but the setup was pretty painless.

Good luck on all your future endeavors, I know some of the retirement communities have a shared shop space. If yours does maybe some of your equipment would fit there. Usually it's just woodworking from what I've heard but you never know....

John
Thank you!
A couple of the places we looked at had wood shops, but no metalworking equipment. Unfortunately, the place we ended up deciding on does not have any kind of shop space. So I'll do the best I can in the second (spare) bedroom.

Same here. And the prices everywhere are prohibitive lately. We paid off our house years ago, taxes are high, but not outrageous, and now that we are old enough and not making enough money, we qualify for a senior locked in property rate (what that means .. don't ask since you have to apply each year) But we've had friends that have tried moving the NC, Delaware, Florida. They said between the price of the home, the taxes, it's not much of a bargain... My wife told me that years ago when she investigated. I do have a friend that just moved to FL, she closed a week or 2 ago. She can't get insurance, paid an arm and a leg, just to be near her kids who both live down there now. I think I'll stay here.. Far enough from everything, but close enough also.
FL has gotten crazy expensive, and my wife has no interest in moving there, so I’m safe :). My parents moved I think 18 years ago. They got a good price from their house in NJ, I grew up not that far from you in Branchburg, and were able to get into the Villages before prices really spiked. Their property taxes are much lower than what they paid in NJ, no schools to pay for in the retirement community I guess. Their house is valued at about the same as ours here in CT, but their taxes are less than half of what we pay. My brother lives in FL and mentioned something about taxes being capped at a percentage of the house value when you bought it, I would be curious what the taxes would be if we bought something there.

Back