• Grinding machine

• Blaster or tumbler

• Welder or plasma machine

• CNC

• 3D printer, laser engraver, or other micro CNC

• Wachuko's choice

• Shaper!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not trying to be an ass, but why do people in USA chose to go to retirement communities?
Lots of reasons I suppose, I don’t live in one so I can’t answer for myself.

If one has means though it can offer predictability as you age. Especially the graduated care places where you start off with your own unit, think condo or nice apartment, then progress all the way to skilled nursing care at the same place.

I’m caring for my 93 year old mom now and she didn’t make any plans for getting older. We’re faced with a reality that she may never leave skilled care and her options are pretty limited.

By planning for your eventual decline you spare your family from the reality of having to clear up all your unfinished business.

This is truly a gift.

Retirement communities that just offer housing are a different thing but do provide a simpler lifestyle and social opportunities that you might not have in your old neighborhood.

I’m only 57 now but old enough to think about this stuff. Planning for your future is a good idea at any age though.

John

Not trying to be an ass, but why do people in USA chose to go to retirement communities?
In my parent’s case, they were downsizing after all us kids were gone, so might as well move somewhere with lots of activities. They moved to The Villages and love it, they are having the time of their lives and have been there 20 years now. They have reunited with friends they hadn’t seen in decades, made many new friends, and are busier than they were when we were younger!

Me in comparison, my wife says we are never moving, she doesn’t want to even think of moving my wood and machine shop lol.

Other than the initial setup its just like using any other DRO...

Wasn't there just an android update bug that stopped the touch dro from working properly? Or some such issue?

I didn't even want a touch screen dro. Led display, baby! That's the only way to go in my book! ;)

That said I do have a couple of CNC machines, so not everything is computer free on the shop. I'm finding those are even a pain to maintain. One needs an upgrade, and I'm dreading it.

In my parent’s case, they were downsizing after all us kids were gone, so might as well move somewhere with lots of activities. They moved to The Villages and love it, they are having the time of their lives and have been there 20 years now. They have reunited with friends they hadn’t seen in decades, made many new friends, and are busier than they were when we were younger!

Me in comparison, my wife says we are never moving, she doesn’t want to even think of moving my wood and machine shop lol.
Maybe I am old school and from the old europe. But I get now the reasoning.

Thanks for explaining it to me.

=Tim

Maybe I am old school and from the old europe. But I get now the reasoning.

Thanks for explaining it to me.

=Tim
Unfortunately most communities in the US aren’t walkable or otherwise friendly to older folks.

Not nearly as many multigenerational homes and none that are 600 years old.

John

Wasn't there just an android update bug that stopped the touch dro from working properly? Or some such issue?

I didn't even want a touch screen dro. Led display, baby! That's the only way to go in my book! ;)

That said I do have a couple of CNC machines, so not everything is computer free on the shop. I'm finding those are even a pain to maintain. One needs an upgrade, and I'm dreading it.
Says the guy who just built a new PC w/ 10Gb Ethernet, and built an Arduino based vent controller. Me thinks he protests too much. ;)

I have a Touch-DRO waiting to be installed on my bigger lathe. Which is really waiting for the crane to be done to tackle a few other things on that lathe too. Which is waiting for among other things, me to design and build the digital controller for the bridge motor and remote. Oh, and a VMC to rebuild electronically is, as @dkemppai knows, in the queue. So I have no room to talk. (But this is the Internet)

I have already started thinking about budget for a DroPro for that lathe to match what I have on the daily-use lathe. There is a lot to be said for consistency, especially as I get older. The T-DRO may go on the surface grinder if I ever get around to working on that, or perhaps on the 1946 K&T mill?

I'd be interested in hearing about the CNC upgrade when you get around to that.

Last edited:

There was, but that was an android issue and only for a limited amount of software versions, not TDRO and not too widespread.

Unfortunately most communities in the US aren’t walkable or otherwise friendly to older folks.

Not nearly as many multigenerational homes and none that are 600 years old.

John
I am keeping my parents home, it’s pain sometime with their old age issues. But for the love of good cannot think my life without them in it. Even if it means getting a lot of sick days just to stay home for their panic attacks.

My dad told me when I was a young boy a story.

A goat herder got tired of his old man and his issues from being old “bickering etc etc” and after thinking it through the fights, words and general displeasure living with his old man decided to carry him into the woods and let nature take it course. He got him on his shoulder and first light in the morning started going up in the mountain. After a while he hears his old man crying silently. He hardens his will and says to himself I had enough I need to live my own life and let him go and have his life in the forest and let it be what it will be. So he continues carrying his old man on his shoulders and up the mountain he goes. After a good travel up the mountain he feels it’s far enough that his old man could not make it back to the village, so he slows down and starts looking for a place to lay him down. At this point the old man starts crying out loud on top of his shoulders. The son gets emotional enough to ask him what’s the issue. The old man tries to get hold of himself and after stopping the crying tell him. Please for the love of god take me a bit further, here is when I left my old man. Realizing the monstrosity of his dad actions on many many levels, he decides to be better and not become his old man with tons of regrets. So his goes down the mountain to the village and closes one eye to not see to much into the fights and cover one ear deaf to not hear to much during bickering and small word fights with his old man. Hoping to have a happier life then his old man had.

This is the English translation the best I could make.

As I recall the generation before mine, most would never have thought of anything but looking after their parents. Times change, and often not for the better. Of course back then the wife stayed home, and two jobs weren't required to maintain a middle class lifestyle. Mike

Back