• CNC

• 3D printer, laser engraver, or other micro CNC

• Wachuko's choice

• Shaper!

Results are only viewable after voting.

pontiac428

John Newman
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
What is the next machine you plan to, are committed to, or are daydreaming about adding to your shop, and what do you intend to do with it? The poll is up for fun, so please discuss freely. Wander off topic all you want, this is here for entertainment and to promote conspiring among participants.

When I bought the PM-1022 and the PM-25 I was trying to do the opposite of what I always do which is go all out on equipment then never use it. I was going to learn on a smaller more affordable machine in case the interest died. But now I wish I had just purchased the big boy in the beginning. I'm currently saving for a 1440 series lathe. Just haven't decided which one yet.

:D hahahahhahaha "Wachuko's choice" LOL!!

I have four left on the list... Not in order of importance:

1. Quiet, high-capacity, air compressor. Or I will use what I have and figure a way to install outside in its own enclosure.
2. 3D Printer
3. Laser Engraver
4. Tube bender

IF I were to attempt to add another machine to the shop it would be either a Moore or Pratt Whitney jig bore. I've run across both over the years, but for some reason was too lazy to hook up the trailer to get them. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a fully tooled Pratt Whitney 1-1/2B that I was offered a few years ago. It had been sitting in the corner of a local shop several years just gathering dust.

They finally had enough and offered it to me for all of $900.00. The only catch was that I had to move it. At the time I was extremely busy and didn't want to take a 200-mile round trip to retrieve the 5-ton trailer from the cottage. It was a bad decision then and a loss on my part.

I'm deep into analog skills, and many of my wood & metal tools are vintage. However, a 3D printer has some good shop uses and it would force me to learn some new things - my CAD skills aren't great.

My theory is that when you stop learning your brain shut off.

I am not really in a buying mood, turning 79 next week. It is time to start thinking about divesting. However, if I were buying, the choices would be a plasma/TIG combination (Everlast 220), a 3D printer, a surface grinder, and possibly a high temperature oven.

X1 Carbon with AMS (Bambu 3D printer) hopefully by or before Christmas.

I would love to convert my full size knee mill to CNC but i dont think it's going to happen.

Hoping to make a CNC a engraver for aluminum and make car emblems. I have to research that more.

Joe

Back