• Grinding machine

• Blaster or tumbler

• Welder or plasma machine

• CNC

• 3D printer, laser engraver, or other micro CNC

• Wachuko's choice

• Shaper!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Definitely a DRO for my mill then possibly one for my lathe.
I love the one on the lathe. So much easier doing little projects with the DRO. Even the import eBay DROs aren't bad, and they are really affordable!

I love the one on the lathe. So much easier doing little projects with the DRO. Even the import eBay DROs aren't bad, and they are really affordable!

I have my eye on a $260 Chinese Ditron D80 4 axis + RPM DRO for the head unit for my mill.

I always get stuck when it comes time to figure out which scales to purchase. The magnetic scales seem quick and easy but then I start reading reports about problems with them missing steps. I will probably start with the D80 4 axis head unit with RPM input and just X and Y scales on my mill. I figure I can add scales for the other axis later.

Maybe I should start with a simple 2 axis install on my lathe to gain some experience before tackling my mill? I still get lost on which scales to get?

Last edited:
I have my eye on a $260 Chinese Ditron D80 4 axis + RPM DRO for the head unit for my mill.

I always get stuck when it comes time to figure out which scales to purchase. The magnetic scales seem quick and easy but then I start reading reports about problems with them missing steps. I will probably start with the D80 4 axis head unit with RPM input and just X and Y scales on my mill. I figure I can add scales for the other axis later.

Maybe I should start with a simple 2 axis install on my lathe to gain some experience before tackling my mill? I still get lost on which scales to get?
I have the D80 on my mill, it works really well. I had a Sino SSS2L on there with a KA300 glass scale on the x axis, but that is a lathe model and switched to the D80 to get the mill features. The y axis scale was broken when I finally got around to installing it and replaced it with I believe a Ditron scale when I installed the D80. I can’t find a label, so not sure which I bought. I used the standard 5 micrometer resolution, you don’t need any more than that on a mill. The magnetic scales look interesting, but I decided to go with the tried and true glass scales. I bought the replacement on Ebay.

I still haven’t gotten around to installing the Sino on my lathe, that will get done this winter at some point. For that, I will use 1 micrometer glass scales on the cross slide and 5 micrometer on the saddle.

Actually not looking to add anything (at this time). I'm actually getting around to selling my Atlas MFB and Jet JVM830 mills. Neither has been turned on in 2-5 years, I might as well let them go.

On the other hand, my wife would like a 3d printer and a laser scanner to create a math file of an object. Those will end up in the shop.

And if I could afford it, I'd love getting a laser cutter that'd handle 16 gauge.

Bruce

Actually not looking to add anything (at this time). I'm actually getting around to selling my Atlas MFB and Jet JVM830 mills. Neither has been turned on in 2-5 years, I might as well let them go.

On the other hand, my wife would like a 3d printer and a laser scanner to create a math file of an object. Those will end up in the shop.

And if I could afford it, I'd love getting a laser cutter that'd handle 16 gauge.

Bruce
Difficult a lot of money. If you need for other materials a water jet might be better but expensive.

Back