• Grinding machine

• Blaster or tumbler

• Welder or plasma machine

• CNC

• 3D printer, laser engraver, or other micro CNC

• Wachuko's choice

• Shaper!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Some day I am sure I will also have to replace my air compressor. I replaced the tank a couple of years ago and did a rebuild on the Curtis Compressor from 1958 but because the compressor probably runs more than any other tool I own, I expect to eventually have to replace it.

Space is my problem, too, or I'd have bought a surface grinder by now - but I intend to get one. I have it on my list to build a 2X72 belt grinder, but I haven't ruled out buying the smaller and the less expensive 2X42. I only have a CNC plasma table with no plans for a CNC mill or lathe - but one never knows, do one? I plan to add a 3D printer early next year when I clear a few more projects on my list. I'll use it for making parts and fixtures inconvenient on the manual mill or lathe. I'm also considering a laser engraver, but that's further down the road. I'm slowly learning Solidworks. It's tough when you don't have much time and frequency to get proficient.

Space is my problem, too, or I'd have bought a surface grinder by now - but I intend to get one. I have it on my list to build a 2X72 belt grinder, but I haven't ruled out buying the smaller and the less expensive 2X42. I only have a CNC plasma table with no plans for a CNC mill or lathe - but one never knows, do one? I plan to add a 3D printer early next year when I clear a few more projects on my list. I'll use it for making parts and fixtures inconvenient on the manual mill or lathe. I'm also considering a laser engraver, but that's further down the road. I'm slowly learning Solidworks. It's tough when you don't have much time and frequency to get proficient.
What size is your table?

I have 3 3d printer one is 50cm by 100cm the other two smaller 23cmx23cm. Recently got lathe mill a friend gifted me his used laser engraver and co2 40wat laser and 3018 small engraver and sla printer. Now my dream on list is a grinder for closer tolerances.

You mean this one? Quincy QT5. Specs shows it at 85 dB. That does not seem that quiet. But I have not heard one...

I was looking at the EMAX - either this one or this one... with specs at 65 dB.
85 dB is the most common noise level for power tools, because it is the cutoff for requiring hearing protection in most jurisdictions around the globe. The epidemiology sure supports it, but I think it's funny how many tools are listed at 84-85 dB. It's like they do whatever it takes to get there. My compressor most certainly runs in the mid 60s, until the pressure switch purges, then it's 85 (I've measured it).

I looked at EMAX very closely, it's a 100% chinese machine, assembled in the US with Eaton's name on it. The reviews on the side of the web with no pre-arranged commercial interest (like this one) tended to be negative. I ended up spending more for similar specs with Quincy. While I was digging and preparing to spend, Quincy was still owned and operated independently by Quincy, I'm sad to hear that has changed but can't find anything to support the claim that they sold out. Mine came with a 3 year warranty, but I never needed it.

My model is the Cadillac version of the QT, the PRO+ MAX or whatever the trim is called. No sense in skimping, that's the stuff that makes it nice once the groundwork is solid.

While I was digging and preparing to spend, Quincy was still owned and operated independently by Quincy, I'm sad to hear that has changed but can't find anything to support the claim that they sold out. Mine came with a 3 year warranty, but I never needed it.

My model is the Cadillac version of the QT, the PRO+ MAX or whatever the trim is called. No sense in skimping, that's the stuff that makes it nice once the groundwork is solid.
Quincy was purchased by Atlas Copco in early 2010. Quincy is still registered as a U.S. company, but a subsidiary of Atlas Copco, which is a Swedish company. They moved the Quincy HQ to Alabama at some point and last I knew had manufacturing facilities in Illinois, Alabama and China.

It appears the changes took place over a period of time and now their best compressors are made in Quincy, the mid-level in Alabama and their budget line in China. The older QT examples were definitely nice compressors, but the current QT are really more on par with the IR models made in India...certainly not bad, but not like they were. I wish I could find old product literature because the current pump looks smaller than they used to be.

As an example, the current QT-5 pump shipping weight is 140lbs. The equivalent Saylor-Beall 705 pump shipping weight is 219lbs. The Quincy QR-325 pump shipping weight is 295lbs. Those are all 5hp pumps but pretty huge differences in weight. The Quincy QR I had was an absolute beast that put out a ton of air, pumped up very quickly and was pretty quiet...would have definitely kept it if it wasn't horizontal.

None of that probably matters for the typical home shop...although nobody complains about a compressor that's quieter than others!

On the lookout for a small lathe once again . Clausing 12 or 13 " 4800 or 5900 series . Of course I have to make room for it . The Hardinge is on CL as well as the saw . The BP will stay . All the other crap are what''s holding me up at this point . I'm well past the compresor and air tool rabbit hole . The yard sale this spring will unload these tools . If I was to blow some bucks for ha has , it would be on a larger Kubota FELBH . Maybe a L39 or so . The 7510 has been great but bigger is better so they say . I'll post some pics if I do get up to the camp this week . I think it's time to bring the big boys in . :big grin:

I've mostly got my needs /wants covered. As soon as I can finish some shop adjustments so it would have a home I'd really like to add a Gorton pantomill. That is a machine I didn't know existed that I could find a lot of uses for.

I'm also increasing my sheet metal capabilities. I'm planning on making a brake, and would like to add a bead roller.

I've also been giving a lot of thought to a heat treat furnace but that is more of a if I had it I would find uses for it, than something I have needed but didn't have.

Back