What is the best hand cleaner out there?

Years ago I worked for the company that made Denorex dandruff shampoo. Hands down, it is THE best thing for getting stubborn dirt out of the cracks and crevices of your hands. Grease, tar, carbon and general dirt are no match for it. Pour some on your hands and work it in, then rinse. A small touch up with a nail brush gets your hands looking good as new.

The main ingredient is a coal tar derivative, which seems to attack any petroleum based product with a vengeance. Off brands (and there are many) that use the coal tar derivative work as well. Removes permanent marker and ink from your hands just as well.

I have been hard-pressed to do better than Dawn dish washing liquid with a worn out Scotch-Brite pad.

Jim

No, It wouldn't be practical, but: raw bread dough will remove any grease/dirt combination from your hands and not abrade them in the process. My father was an Italian Bread Bakery "Oven Man" and showed me that trick many years ago! (Just had to share)

My vote goes to the old standby; Boraxo, it leaves the hands soft, doesn't smell , and won't clog your drains, as it is completely soluble in water. There was another that I used for years, ANCO, but the auto parts store stopped carrying it, and it did clog drains, but it was a good hand cleaner for (most of) the reasons that Boraxo is.

I have used the hand cleaner that is a " GO-JO Clone" from Harbor Freightit does have volanic pumice in the mix and works best for me. i clean my hands 5-6 times a day and they stay ' nice'
and it's NOT EXPENSIVE
joe

I do not like the pumice cleaners around my machines.

For clean-as-you-work, I keep a spray bottle of windex. I spray it on on hand, then rub my hands together, then wipe off each finger (and the rest of my hands) with a blue shop towel. Works like a champ.

When I go to a sink, I prefer dish soap. It is designed to remove greases.

If they are bad enough to need grit, dishwasher soap works great.

For grease spots on the floor, I sprinkle dry laundry soap on the oil spill, then add a little water and scrub it with a broom.

Before I paint my machines, I use some Protective Hand Foam from McMasters. It takes about 90 seconds to dry, but after it does, your skin does not absorb chemicals as easy. Water washes it off.

A box of Boraxo hand soap from the hardware store. It's an oldie but a goodie and works way better than Goop or Gojo. Also, it leaves your hands smelling clean instead of smelling like orange oil.

View attachment 55805

John

I agree with this, as the waterless lanolin or citrus ones dry my skin out so badly it peels. The Boraxo doesn't do that to me.

Dependent on how set in the grease or grime is,
i get a dime size squirt of Dawn or Palmolive ,
then a dot a 50 cent piece of Borax, add a little water and go to town on scrubbin'.
if you add a scrub brush, there isn't many substances that'll continue to stick.
iv'e had my hands in a lot of different kinds of shinola, it does the trick every time and it's very cheap!!

Nitrile gloves, then a tougher outer glove, like the 10 pack of rubber dipped fabric gloves you see at Lowes....they can be washed. Any grease and grime that gets thru that combo can be managed with dish soap.

Back