What is the best hand cleaner out there?

I noticed that the soap in the bathroom of one of my customers locations worked better than anything I've used, the pumice types like gojo included. I got curious one day and broke into their soap dispenser - "micrel". Not sure where or if you can get it, but it has magical grease, dirt, and adhesive removing properties and does not dry out your hands.

Like most of you I grew up a motorhead, over the years tried every form of hand cleaner. Tuesday I moved and pulled apart a HVY 10 lathe I'm going to restore that sat in a warehouse for 30 yrs. after being in a High School shop. This thing was way beyond filthy! I went to the sink in my garage and realized that I had left the GOJO at the warehouse. On the shelf overhead the only soap available was a bottle of HEAD&Shoulders that I wash the dog with. This stuff works! It cleans right down to your nails and will not remove the top 3 layers of skin like the pumice soaps do. In the course of the teardown I scrubbed up about 5 or 6 times- hands were clean enough to go to dinner and not feel you had to hide them. If I can figure out how to re-package it and sell to repair shops my fortune is made.

Kfc chicken grease will get anything out..lol

Use Gojo which smeels nice and does a good job, but really like the "jello" type hand cleaner that comes in a can (cant remember the name, Crappy tire and other places sell it, white jelly stuff the liquifies on your hand when it warms up). Stuff works great, needs no water (which I dont have in the garage) and I can use it over and over to keep the crud off my hands. If I come in and my hands are dirty I just use dish soap. not as good but there and handy. When I worked for Xerox they had a tube we used to use, which came out like tooth paste and you rubbed on your hands. Would dry and left a layer of "protection" on your hands. Even working with toner (plasticized carbon) and getting really filthy, a bit of water and your hands were perfectly clean.

I think I am going to take advice I have read above- but I will also share what I have been doing.
I use Soft Scrub, without bleach, on those blue kitchen two-sided sponges. Then I use dish washing soap. But it is a lot of work. LOTS OF ELBOW GREASE!! GET IT? GET IT?? Hah hah

When I remember, I try to use hand lotion before I work, since it makes it easier to clean later. But I HATE using hand lotion ugh.

Bernie

I'm in the GoJo camp, but prefer not to use pumice. I'm usually trying to get grit and grime off, not on, so I like the smooth, original formula best. I have used Fast Orange, both the gritty and the smooth, and it does a good job. I think at the moment, I have a gallon pump by the sink of the Fast Orange Smooth.

Goop is another lanolin based hand cleaner, and I like it pretty well when I can get it. Getting harder to find locally though.

Clean motor oil followed by soap and water. Works beautifuly.
Not exactly healthy but what the heck my hands touch grease and oil all the time.

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the old fresh grease first then soap and water---Dave

Someboy else hit the nail on the head... Dead on about how not to get your hands wet before rubbing-in the cleaner. Gotta keep rubbing and working the cleaner till everthing loosens-up then rinse/wash it off. It's like you get one chance to get it right and if you blow it, it's game-over until the next workshop session comes along and you get filthy again...

I've tried the nitrile gloves a dozen times at least. They just don't hold up even when you get the heavy duty ones. I only use those when I need to work with something nasty like strong solvent etc...

Back