What Do You Use To Draw/design Projects?

SolidWorks 2015 for 3D/2D, Solid Edge (free from Siemens) for 2D only quick design.

Please be specific....
I use Fusion 360. The program is robust, and so far it's capabilities far exceed my own.
I'm trying to learn Sprutcam, but have limited access to Windows computers.

I am not a machinist so all my design is a scrap of paper jobbie for a couple of itterations.
Then I have a go at modelling it in an old 3d modeling and animation program called TrueSpace It has limitations or probably it would be more truthful to say I am the limiting factor.
I've just downloaded fusion 360 and must say it appears at first glance to be very good.
I'm finding the interface and modeling technique very similar to my old program and in a couple of mins had a couple of simple bits knocked up with threaded holes etc.
I'm looking forward to learning more about this program, just need a good project to start with.
Thanks to everyone who mentioned it and so gave me the push to update.

I use Sketchup free version for all of my final design work in 2D and 3D even if it is often just confirming dimensions or angles, it is incredibly easy to use and it means I can keep a nice clean electronic copy as well as my oil spattered and amended working prints

I use AutoCad 2000 Lite for quick 2D work, but will have to shift to something more modern as my XP becomes more and more outdated. Guess I'm going to start goofing around on Fusion 360 -- I'll keep my old XP relic running (offline) for as long as possible.

As others already suggested, I highly recommend Fusion 360. I always design in full 3D so I can "see" the whole thing and check for any assembly problems. Used to use SketchUp, but it had too may limitations. What I like about Fusion 360 is:
  1. Free for hobby use. Important for those of us who don't have a budget for SolidWorks, or don't have it from work
  2. Easier to learn (for me, at least) than SketchUp. SketchUp seems easier for the really simple stuff, but it becomes pretty darn hard for anything more ambitious
  3. Fully parametric. You can change design parameters later (if you design carefully), so that you can change earlier design choices
  4. Ability to insert commercially available components. You can pull down any 3D model from McMaster, with a built-in link. Don't have to buy from them, but their 3D models pop right into your design
  5. Dynamic link from 3D model to 2D manufacturing drawings, including BOM. If you change the model (within limits), the drawings will follow
  6. Dynamic link to CAM, although I haven't used that
  7. Designs (and all previous versions) are automatically saved in the cloud, so you're not dead if your hard drive crashes. You can also work off a local copy if you're not on the net
  8. Runs on different platforms. I needed something that can run on Mac OS X
  9. Allows for collaboration, although that may not be quite as important for this crowd
And no, I don't work for them. And they don't pay me for this, either ;).

Tom

Believe it or not, I use Microsoft Word. I made a size A template, then just paste in a shape or shapes. Then I type in the dimensions in inches or mm in the format box. If is a small part that fits in the paper at full scale, the 2D will be accurate to the 1/128". I have Turbocad, but I need help to learn it. The push for me to learn something that can be exported in a CAD file is starting to be felt.

I attempted to download Fusion 360, but site would not as I have unsupported OS (32bit Win7Pro). Says it requires 64bit.
I use daily AutoCAD LT 2000i. For more deeper, serious features, I use AutoCAD 2000. Both running without problem on Win7 with OS properties set to Windows 2000.
I have SketchUp and Home3D for making pretty presentations.
TinyCAD is a great, very small, lightweight Schematic and Wiring Diagrahm drawing program.

I use autocad 14 and also back of the envelope sketches.I'm trying to learn Autodesk Inventor.Too many
things to learn,so little time available.
Ariscats

Back