1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

What Do You Use To Draw/design Projects?

Discussion in 'DRAWING, LAYOUT & CAD' started by Nels, Jan 23, 2016.

1. MemorY

MemorY United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Gilbert
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

Fusion 360 is my go to software for CAD and design, but if that doesn't work I go to Rhinoceros or Zbrush, but I always start off with quick sketches on my iPad. Then take those sketches into the software and build up from there.

2. sgisler

sgisler United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Plano
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Welcome!
    What app are you using on your iPad?
    I've done a little in Fusion, but real work keeps getting in the way of working with and learning it better.
    Recently bought Solidworks for paying jobs, so learning that is occupying most of my brain-space now.

Stan
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. MemorY

City:
    Gilbert
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

Thank you!
    I'm using ProCreate on my iPad Pro. It's pretty much photoshop on a tablet. It's awesome! I'm able to sketch freehand and then can just share the jpg or png to Fusion.

Fusion has a ton of free webinars that they post about on Facebook. Plus they record them and post to youtube. They have a ton of tutorials on there on how to get started with design, sculpting, CAM, similation, prepping for 3D printing, and so on. A few friends of mine have actually done a couple webinars on there. I'd highly suggest to check them out.

I'm currently taking a Solidworks class at school and... I'm constantly frustrated with it... I know that people love it and whatnot but the workflow for me, but that's me. Not everyone is me. :)

4. sgisler

City:
    Plano
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

i'll have to give that one a look. i'm probably due for a new ipad too.
    i've gone through some of their tutorials and find Fusion pretty easy to follow. i'm self-taught on AutoCAD and used it for years. now i use Draftsight (for 2D stuff) and Sketchup Pro. i would agree with you about Solidworks' workflow; not exactly intuitive (to me).

5. MemorY

City:
    Gilbert
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

Ya. I'd wait till towards the end of the month. Apple may, rumored to, have another keynote. :D Fingers crossed!

6. sgisler

City:
    Plano
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I'll have to watch for that!

7. ovenpaa

ovenpaa United Kingdom Iron Registered Member

City:
    Bedford
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

Solidworks 2016 for 3D, Trimble Sketchup 2016 (Free edition) for quick sketches and a biro and half a sheet of A4 for working notes :)

8. Bill Gruby

Bill Gruby United States Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

I'm a pencil pusher, could somebody re-write this for me? That last part about biro and half sheet of A4 means nothing to me.

"Billy G"

9. JimDawson

JimDawson Global Moderator Staff Member Director

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Biro = Ballpoint Pen, invented by Ladislas Biro
    A4 = metric paper size, A4 measures 210 × 297 millimeters or 8.27 × 11.69

bobshobby and Bill Gruby like this.
  10. Bill Gruby

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

RATZ -- now I have to learn what a ball point pen is again. ROTFLMBO

:Billy G"

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    jpfabricator likes this.
  11. paoldschool

paoldschool United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Mount Jewett
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

So mostly sketch things out with paper and pencil. I have Fusion 360, still working on that... I've been away from AutoCAD for over a decade, so a lot has changed!!! I still have all of my drafting tools from the days before CAD, and I still use them sometimes too.:chunky:

12. bobshobby

bobshobby Australia H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Adelaide, South Australia.
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

Biro has become the default generic name for a ball point pen. and A4 paper is the standard size of printer paper used in most of the world, I think in USA they use something different. incidentally half an A4 is an A5, and an A4 is an A3 cut in half. Etc.

13. brino

brino Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Almonte
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

OK, a little off topic......

....maybe in your part of the world, I had never heard it before.....and will probably never use it.
    Perhaps it's just me turning old and grumpy, but why rename something we already have a perfectly good name for?
    -brino

14. savarin

savarin Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Townsville

-Return to Top-

because Biro is quicker than saying "Ball point pen" ?
    Bit like "Hoover" being the generic name for vacuum cleaners.
    One day everyone will learn how to spell Aluminium correctly. :laughing: sorry, been doing a bit too much of this :beer:

bpudney likes this.
  15. Bill Gruby

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

Different parts of the world, different names for things. A Belt Sander in England is a Linisher. Not a big deal, I just wondered what it was. Thank you for the explanations folks. Learned something new today.

"Billy G"

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    savarin likes this.
  16. savarin

savarin Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Townsville

-Return to Top-

I could never work out how that word came about

Bill Gruby likes this.
  17. Billh50

Billh50 Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    New Britain
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

Billy,
    I never heard that expression either. Guess no matter how old we get we keep learning.

Bill Gruby likes this.
  18. Bill Gruby

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

For the longest time Charles I could not figure that word out either. When I first saw it I said to myself, "Why don't they just use a Belt Sander." Then I was enlightened to what it was. Origin of the word, I don't know either.

"Billy G"

19. Bill Gruby

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

20. brino

brino Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Almonte
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

....except it turns out to be waaaay longer than either "ball-point pen"(unusual to say all that) or simply "pen" (more normal) since you then have to explain to everyone what "biro" means!

I do "get" the regional differences in terms and the enjoyment of conversation and learning something new.

However, since we are off topic, that's the last you'll hear from me on this.

-brino

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    Bill Gruby and savarin like this.
  21. taycat

taycat Active Member Active Member

City:
    hightown
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

afraid i am old school.
    drawing board and paper that's how i learned at school.
    drawing board came out british aerospace near where i lived when it shut down, one of my neighbours was in design department and got it for me along with load of draughtsmen's kit which i still have.
    oh and fact i'm rubbish with doing other than basics on computer.

22. Glenn Brooks

Glenn Brooks H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Woodinville
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

So far, I do most of my drawing/design work on a white board in my shop. Actually I have three white boards of various sizes, so larger projects go on the highest board - small stuff with 2 or 3 critical dimensions go on the small one. These are also great for making quick note of diameters, measurements, cutting speeds, etc., and rapid prototyping an idea into some semblance of actual structure.

Loaded fusion 360 last winter but haven't had the time ( or discipline) to learn it. Still hoping though ....

Glenn P.

23. Dan_S

Dan_S Active User Active Member

City:
    Champaign
    State:
    Illinois

-Return to Top-

Is anyone using a Microsoft surface 3 or surface pro 3 with fusion 360? It's time for me to get a new tablet and if I can replace my tablet & cheap laptop with one devise that would be great.

The surface pro 4 is to big for my tastes, as I want something I can slide into my camera bags.

bobshobby likes this.
  24. Superburban

Superburban United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Grand Junction
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

I regret leaving my old drafting table with the mechanical arm behind when I moved, but only had so much room.

:bawling: I just cannot seem to put my ideas into a computer like I could draw them up.

a-series-paper-sizes-1.jpg

25. ebolton

ebolton United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Newton
    State:
    New Hampshire

-Return to Top-

I have access to Creo (Pro/E), Solidworks, and Inventor/AutoCad at work, and Draftsight at home and at work. They each have their strengths. Since the work project I'm assigned to now is a Creo project, I tend to use Creo for my personal stuff as well. I do find the initial conceptual stage is best handled in 2-D, in AutoCad or Draftsight. Which I use depends on where I'm sitting when the urge strikes.

-Ed

brino likes this.
  26. ch2co

ch2co United States Grumpy Old Man H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Center of Colorado 5362ft
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

I use a program called Vectoworks, that I got through an education discount about 14 years ago. It seems to be basically an architectural program for big buildings, but I found it to fit my needs very well with all of its simple to use pre drawn items like screws, washers, nuts, bolts etc. Click on the little icon and you get a perfectly sized say 4-40 x 3/8 socket head set screw with hollow point or whatever you want, with highly accurate threads and hex dimensions etc. You can then easily rotate it to whatever view you need, top end, side view, bottom view at any angle. Zoom in and out with dimensions of .0001 accuracy (at least) I found it very easy to use and learned all I needed for my simple purposes in 2d. It can do 3d and I ventured into that mode a few times, but always gave up and went back to 3-view mode. Today it costs many thousands of bucks so it clearly wouldn't be my recommendation for most amateur mechanical drawing needs that I have. Since its a considerably older version I have to shut down my computer and restart it under an older operating system in order to still use it which can be a real pain. I've played around with AutoCad and Fusion 360 which looks great, but doesn't seem to work very well with the neurons and dexterity of my old brain. You use what you have and what you know is my motto, especially when it works for you and your a grumpy old guy.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

brino likes this.
  27. Camarillojohn

Camarillojohn United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Camarillo
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I use an old version of SolisWorks most of the time , I like lt a lot, now I'm learning Fusion 360 because it has CAM in the same program.
    Being retired I am fortunate to have the time to spend on learning this excellent software, I recommend it to everyone.

28. Steve Peterson

Steve Peterson United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    El Dorado Hills
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I do most of the design work in my head and a few scraps of paper. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and solve some tricky design details.

Anything that is going to be cut on the CNC will get drawn up using TurboCAD 21.

Steve

29. mmprestine

mmprestine United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    green bay
    State:
    Wisconsin

-Return to Top-

around my parts biro = bic

30. bobshobby

bobshobby Australia H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Adelaide, South Australia.
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

I have a surface Pro 2 128. it was originally win 8 but upgraded to win 10. Love it, very fast, easy to use light weight and although I haven't tried fusion 360 I see no reason why it wouldn't run it. It's quite a powerful little machine, my only complaint is only 1 USB port, but you can always use a multi block USB, I have successfully used 4 USB devices that way. I have fusion 360 loaded onto my desktop, but have neither the time nor the discipline to learn it. Most of my designs sit in my head always have, occasionally when it gets complicated I might make a pencil sketch.

Dan_S likes this.