• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

What Do You Use To Draw/design Projects?

Nels

Founder/Mechanic
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Please be specific....

pebbleworm

Active User
Usually a back of the napkin grade sketch with a couple of key dimensions added in. I'm new at this. Drawing the sketch sometimes points out things I hadn't realized before. I have gone beyond the point where I wished I had made a sketch before starting...

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
I use Draftsight for 2D drawings I use as well for customers I do design work for. Want to go forward to the 3D world, but have no time to learn it. Been playing with a couple of the free programs out there. I don't care for cloud based programs, but do like the looks of Autodesk Fusion 360.

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
I use SolidWorks for CAD, SprutCAM or HSM Works for CAM. I am also working at developing skills in Fusion 360 for an integrated CAD/CAM package.
I find it simpler to do my sketching in SolidWorks rather than with paper and pencil. There's no need for an eraser as I work through the design process.

Cavediver

Autocad 2016
I also use Rhino once in a while.

scalci

Iron
Registered Member
I use to use many of the products mentioned above. I moved to Fusion 360 a few months back and dont look back. I can 2d draw, 3d draw, print out the drawing plan, and create CAM for my cnc.... Really good software and for the home it is free.....

T Bredehoft

Active User
I used AutoCAD until the copy I had wouldn't load in my Windows 8 computer. I now use ProgeCAD, It's similar, but sometimes frustrating, it gets easily confused, (or so it seems.)

atunguyd

Active User
Since I started modeling up my designs in solidworks before going to the machines I have found there are less oops moments where I realise I should have done one operation before another. The whole extrude and cut mechanism in solidworks makes it feel like I am performing a trial run before hitting the workshop.

Being able to export as drawings with all dimensions is an added bonus.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

burdickjp

A notebook of grid paper to get ideas out of my head and onto something more permanent. Once I've gone through some iterations there I start CADing. Ideas bounce back and forth between notebook and cad for a while. I can take the notebook anywhere and always have a record of the design process, calculations, and ideas for variations.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

uncle harry

Active User
Please be specific....
Depending on the design or the available materials when the ideas strike. I use several approaches. Most of my ideation starts in my head. For personal simple projects I use anything from white space on printed matter to restroom paper towling. I like a good gel pen on soft media & #2 "kitchen" pencils with erasers for copier bond paper.
For cad I have Autocad Inventor light 2012. When I am documenting wiring schematics or ladder logic diagrams I use Office publisher.
Most of my sketches are 3D, some are exploded assembly-like diagrams.

Whyemier

Active User
I usually do as others have noted and sketch up what I need in a small notebook. For bigger projects requiring multiple parts I use AutoCad and/or another CAD program I have on my laptop.

Richard White (richardsrelics)

Not being a student, how does one get the Fusion 360 program???
And same BS, trying to get a free program and they want EVERY detail, including you work address, home phone number??????

No wonder this stuff is pirated so often...grrr

Last edited:

Billh50

Active User
I use MasterCam X but also have been dabbling in Solidworks lately. I like the 3d for making sure things fit together for assemblies. Less chance of having to make parts over again because they don't fit.

kvt

Active User
paper, pencil, pens, and straight edges. Need to get into one of the software packages and try to learn CAD, Have to find one that will come with some good teaching materials for me to get to learn it.

RJSakowski

Not being a student, how does one get the Fusion 360 program???
And same BS, trying to get a free program and they want EVERY detail, including you work address, home phone number??????

No wonder this stuff is pirated so often...grrr
Here is the site for Fusion 360:
http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/try-buy

Download the 30 day free trial. Once you have downloaded and installed, you will be notified of the time remaining. You can register for the unlimited free use providing you are: 1. a student, 2. an educator, 3. a hobbyist. 4. a startup business (<$100K/yr profit). The free subscription is limited to 1 or 3 years but can be renewed.

Info on setting up free subscription:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...-or-educational-licensing-for-Fusion-360.html

Re providing personal details in exchange for free software, nothing is truly free. IMO, it is a small price to pay to get some quality software.

TomS

Active User
I currently use eMachineShop for CAD and D2NC for CAM. I'm in a learning curve with CNC so these programs fit my needs at the moment. My only exposure to CAD has been with DeltaCAD and eMachineShop which are simple 2D and 2.5D programs. My goal is to do some 3D machining so I've downloaded Fusion 360. Been playing with it but to be honest it's way over my head. Lot's to learn but I'm not giving up.

Tom S.

dlane

Active User
Comes to me in a dream, me and these electronic gizmos don't always get along well. :bash computer:
I'll useualy sketch it out ,

sanddan

Active User
I use a student version of SolidWorks, I get it by being a veteran. I used it for years before retiring so it is the easiest one for me as long as I can get a copy.

Container Above bottom breadcrumb