What Do You Use To Demagnitize Your Tools

Ok, That one is good, Maybe I can find a small motor like that around somewhere. Always empty enough PB jars, the only othe rthing I do not have would be the Plexiglas but that should be able to find easy. IF nothing else it will work for the small stuff like the allen wrenches.

I have an old jeweler's demagnetizer,and it works fine. I can't remember where I got it. It is a box with an oval coil on top. You could pass a pack of cigarettes through the coil (for size). It's large enough for any tools,milling cutters,etc..

Just has a momentary contact push button switch on it.

I also use old induction motor frames for demagnetizing. I used to tear the motors out of washers and dryers whenever I saw a junk appliance on the road. The armature is usually trashed but the appliance motor windings are designed to have relatively low locked rotor currents, so are usually fine. All my friends have demagnetizers now! Remember, when using a demagnetizer to draw the part at least three feet away before switching off and leave your credit cards in another room!

Reactions: kvt
Not sure where to put this

Ok, I want to see what people use to demagnetize their tools and stuff. And has anyone made their own demagnetizers.
I currently do not have anything to demagnetize all of my stuff and some items are starting to get bad. I could use them to pick up the swarf with no problems. So before I go and find something I want to see what people think. I remember over 30 years ago when I worked in a shop before going in the AF, they had an old electric thing, but do not remember much about it.
Ideas would help.
The shop where I apprenticed used a field coil from a motor / generator welding machine, which has an opening of about 4 x 5" and a cross section of about 2" and was wrapped with cloth tape and treated with insulating varnish; it was simply plugged into 110V current and the object passed through it a few times. This was mostly used on the surface grinder for smaller parts, large parts were partially demagnetized by reversing the current to the magnetic chuck momentarily. When the shop was closed and sold off, I bought some machinery there and also snagged the demag. coil, but since my 12 x 36 Thompson grinder and my present (retirement) grinder, a Brown & Sharpe Micromaster both have Neutrofier magnetic chuck controls I no longer have to make use of the coil.

I use an old Radio Shack recording tape demagnetizer Cleans up reel to reel, VCR or other type tapes. good luck,maybe you can find one.

For robust things like spanners & screwdrivers if the magnetic pull is more of an annoyance than a hindrance ( for instance they collect iron filings ) simply give it a couple of sharp quick raps on a hard large mass such as a closed vice to misalign the electrons & make the item lose the magnetism .

It's the reason why you should always use the keeper bar on a horseshoe magnet ( From my schooldays some 60 years ago ) .

Degaussing coils are good for small items & a is a cathode ray TV screen degaussing coil is good for lots of bigger things.

The biggest degaussing coils I know of were /are cables fitted around an aircraft carrier .. ...... To stop a few hundred of pounds of magnetic limpet mines being attached .
Some of the more expensive security carrier vehicles also have degaussing coils to stop magnetically attached bombs & tracking devices being added .

I use an armature growler, works 100%.
I use it for armature testing also.
Basically if you find a decent sized 24V transformer remove the top limb and supply it with 12V and run your tools across the top where the limb was removed it will work OK. Old microwave transformers can be reworked and rewired for this also.

Back